• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Age it Easy

Started by MrBrownstone, October 23, 2009, 09:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrBrownstone

Well recieved the micro mark package today...

Here are the results of one generous coat of each (the grey and the brown)

one coat on each half of the piece and close up

Based on my lack of experience with this type of product... I can not provide a qualified review.  :(
So please share your opinions or comments... Does this stuff have potenial? or does this stuff look like crap?

I am still waiting for my order of the silverwood and blackwood from CC Crow... I would like to compare them side by side... how that guy is gonna stay in business... I'll never understand....  ::) (I could explain but that is another issue)

But anyways.. guys take a look at the photos and let me know if it looks right (for what it is) or not.

EDIT: Added another test subject

Mike

MrBrownstone

More Experiments...  :o

any of these look Okay?....  ???

Mike

marc_reusser

Hmmmm....sorry...not buyin' it (so to speak).......the results looks odd....not like aged wood at all. The brown might be useable with some experimenting/practice for the darkish brown wood color that was common/developed on old growth wood framing on building interiors, especially here in the western climate.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Ken:

Going to have to agree with Marc... the colors seem too flat and consistent. It might be a good product to provide a base color over which you can apply subsequent washes and powder treatment to bring out some depth and texture. Basically there's no simple, one-stop solution for weathering wood. I've been experimenting for two months to come up with a new process for weathering boxwood since the materials I used to use to good effect are no longer available. After two months of work, I'm getting closer, but not there yet. The staining effect is controlled to some extent by the tannin level in the wood itself which is why some woods react well to stain, while others do not. Box appears to have very low tannin levels, hence it doesn't stain.

Paul

MrBrownstone

Thanks for the feedback...

I am looking to find the proper base color... there is no weathering besides the stain on those experiments.

going to try Hauks bleaching method on the wood. (thats if CC Crow ever gets to processing my order of silverwood, ordered the stuff on the 18th of Oct. and they sent me an order conforamtion "which is auto-reply anyways" but still have not charged my credit card or even emailed me about delays) any other sources for the silverwood? (I will gladly cancel my order with CC Crow)

Mike

marc_reusser

A decently stocked RR hoby shop should carry it.

Try online through a place like:

"Coronado Scale Models"

or

"The Original Whistlestop"

I think this is the a wood color direction that you should probably be shooting for, for your structure. This is One of Marcels projects, and he does his coloring using Vallejo acrylics and water colors.....I'll try to find the exact formulation for these boards.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Apparently it is simply an oak stain, and then he uses water based (water color and guache?) for aging (getting the grey shades. There is an SBS with photos here:

http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=22388.0

NOTE: The Oak stain is awaterbased product (being that it is the EU), and it does not have an included sealer like minwax or many of the other stains found on the market here in the box stores and DIY stores.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Too heavily weathered for what you need, but check out the textures and coloring on this wood/structure:

M

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Mike

I would call or email CC Crow I've ordered Sileverwood from him and its here in a flash.

Marc nice photo's of Marcel wood nice coloring.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Scratchman

Mike

I would go with the Silver Wood. Also Weather-It is close to the same as Silver Wood. Try a little distressing before staining, that will help take the flatness out of the work. 

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

MrBrownstone

Hey Gordon,

Yeah... Definitly going to find me some silverwood, I am not liking the results of the "Age it Easy" products (it keeps coming up too grey/flat not really silver enough IMO) I did distress the wood too...  :o (maybe sanded too much after trying to get rid of that notorious fuzzzzzz...)
But hey someone had to try the stuff...eh   ;)  I am still trying other things while waiting on the silverwood. (photo of another 1:48 test subject)

Jerry:
As far as supplies go I have to rely on internet resources... no local model shops, a couple R/C shops but they carry nothing...
and other than a Hobby Lobby or a Micheals product I pretty much have make what I need out here. Scratch building teritory...  ;)
as soon as I get a better camera I will take a buch of photos of some outstanding modeling subjects around here. (soon too, like next week I hope, have to see what the wifey needs first...if you know what I mean  ;D )

In the meantime I will just keep trying things/methods/techniques  8) (not like I don't have enough stonework to do either...   ;D )
We have been working on alot of new products as well... ALOT...   ;)

Mike

mobilgas

Hey Mike.....nice weathered colors on this barn, got my age it easy bottle this week too. Craig

MrBrownstone

another 1:87 train stop test subject

(cc crow update: ordered on 18th, finally charged my card on 26th, no word from them on my email, no product yet... strange behavior if you ask me...  ??? )

Mike

RoughboyModelworks

I haven't had any problems ordering from Builders in Scale. I last ordered some SilverWood several months ago and it arrived in just over a week. Perhaps I just struck it lucky...

Paul

Russell

Marc

Is there a way to read an English version of the writings at the site you posted?

http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=22388.0

I think I have the gist of it, but got a bit lost on the use of the Micro Mask.
I'm assuming its similar to the "rubber cement" technique.

Cheers
Russell