• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2"-Scale Lumber Stacker

Started by Ken Hamilton, October 30, 2009, 09:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Looking good KEn!

I just borrowed the hairspray technique, normally I go for the dry look.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

chester

Well it was Ken that taught me to treat each piece of a model as a model unto itself. Proof here that he practices what he preaches. (at least when it comes to modeling) Terrific look to the tank Ken.

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful work as always!

Did you have to heat the styrene or anything, to get it to bend around the block and stay put? What glue did you use to attach the styrene to the wood block?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Ken Hamilton

Thanks, guys.

Ray, I didn't need to heat the .005" styrene to bend it around the block and I used Walther's GOO
to glue it down.  I ran a toothpick-tip of Super Glue along the edge of the joint in Photo 1, which
solidified the Goo so that surface stayed put during the bending process.

One glitch in the tank: See that little lip around the end of the tank in the first three photos?
I wanted to keep that, but when I cut the block to fit between the frame rails, I failed to take
into account the plastic caps added to each end of the block, so I had to sand off the lips so the
tank fit in the frame (Photo 4).

Duh......
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Belg

Ken great progress and sbs info, I was thinking about your tall lumber stacks and was wondering how about setting it up next to a loading dock platform? This could then incorporate two very different textures and bring in more character. Just a thought. Pat

NORCALLOGGER

Ken,
That is gorgeous!
Hey I have a shovel that is going to be ready for paint before to much longer
What's you address? ;D ;).
Seriously though that is beautiful.
Rick

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Ken Hamilton on May 20, 2010, 04:05:13 AM
One glitch in the tank: See that little lip around the end of the tank in the first three photos?
I wanted to keep that, but when I cut the block to fit between the frame rails, I failed to take
into account the plastic caps added to each end of the block, so I had to sand off the lips so the
tank fit in the frame (Photo 4).

Duh......

Ouch.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who does stuff like that.   

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Ray, you think you have problems? Stop by my place next time I'm building something and you'll either laugh yourself silly or cry yourself to sleep! I may have mentioned elsewhere that I'm planning to scrap the paper structure I started earlier this year and start again from scratch (despite having nearly completed six walls). Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it! -- Russ

Chuck Doan

Use rolling paper next time Unc, much easier to smoke.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ken Hamilton

I managed to get in some building time this weekend and attached the firewall
and finished wiring (with the exception of the battery box) & plumbing the motor. 
The cockpit side of the firewall has a couple of guages, a throttle cable (no pedal)
and a rotary-switch-to-nowhere just for visual effect:

Radiator hoses and P/E clamps are model car aftermarket items:

The other side features a regulator box on the firewall and a styrene rod exhaust system.
The muffler is wired to the frame:

The radiator braces still need to be added and the battery box
will attach to the outside of the frame.
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

marc_reusser

Ken,

Do you by any chance have a link to the mfr of the clamps and hoses?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Ken, nice work oozes character.

Can I also ask for some info on the handbrake? ratchet - its an area I always have trouble getting right or even to look OK ..... can yo give some info as to how you made the various parts ?

Thanks

p.s. IMHO the "thinned" firewall looks a lot better!
Gordon

finescalerr

Lacks a steering wheel but otherwise rather satisfactory. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Looking good , Ken , but the water hoses are looking a bit new . Maybe one of them needs some tape or a rag tied around it to stop it leaking .

Sorry , I'm only trying to help you from running out of things to do .

Nick