• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2"-Scale Lumber Stacker

Started by Ken Hamilton, October 30, 2009, 09:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Very nice indeed!
I must agree with my European friend though.
And the wires holding the muffler are too shiny as well.
Try using individual strands of electrical wire dipped in blacken-it.
Will be a most impressive model when completed (and not just in size)
-Marty

Ken Hamilton

OOOooo......STEERING WHEEL!!  I KNEW I forgot something.

Marc, here's a link for the Model Car Garage, where the clamps came from:
http://www.modelcargarage.com
I've had the ribbed hoses for quite some time and they may be out of production. They aren't MCG items
and the company that offered them might be out of business; however, they can be made by wrapping a
piece of tubing with smaller wire and coating it with that liquid-dip-stuff that's used for tool handles.

Gordon, the ratchet-thingie on the side is my version of the motor's clutch handle, which I thought was
more interesting looking than a pedal.  The handle was made around a section of a watch gear using bits
of styrene & brass strip stock and wire.  The handle in the middle (the one with the button on top) is a
flattened piece of stretched sprue, bend at the top end, with a small, flat sanded plastic plate on top.
The button is a flattened Tichy rivet.  The entire handle is modeled after the real one in the lumber stacker
photos that Rick sent:

Again, MANY big thanks to Rick for providing such amazing detail photos.....

Nick, the hoses are definitely too new looking, as are the clamps.  Rather than make the excuse that the
hoses were recently changed, they'll be suitably weathered in the near future.  Thanks for pointing that out!
The same goes for the wire holding the muffler......

Thanks for all the thoughtful comments.  That's what makes you guys the best modelers out there.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Malachi Constant

Ken --

Excellent and inspiring work!  I started to write a note about the "modern" looking clamps and hoses, but did some surfing ... these clamps are said to look like originals supplied on the Model T:

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/modeltparts/radiatoritems

Not quite the same as the ones you've got with the slots all around, but close enough.  Of course, my old cars always came with those PIA spring-clamps that just wrapped around the hose and required pliers and swearing for removal.  Hoses look a bit modern, but a little anachronism here and there doesn't hurt ... if it does, a little shrink tubing would fix that.
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

eTraxx

Thing is .. you have to ask .. "when was the vehicle abandoned?". Radiator hoses and clamps are those things that get replaced through the years - or batteries. That means that usually those 'replaceable' items would be newer/later then the original equipment/parts that just .. rust.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Ken Hamilton

Malachi:  The clamps in your link would've definitely been cooler, but Chuck Doan is the only
man alive who could build them, and he's kinda busy with his own projects.

eT:  You're correct, too.  Hoses & clamps are certainly replaced over the years so a lot depends
on the era (if any) you're trying to replicate.  Pin-pointing something like that takes a lot of research
to get right, and I suppose hoses & clamps would be one way to determine a time period...but picking
that many nits is way over my head.  I'll take your explanation any day.

Your phrase "...when the vehcile was abandoned...." brings up another issue with this model. 
It's actually going to be displayed as a WORKING vehicle and it's bothered me for a while that
I might have gone too far with the weathering.  Would an operational piece of equipment look
so "abandoned"?  I'll have to see how it looks when it's done.......
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

eTraxx

I can only reply with personal knowledge about what I have actually seen and done. I spent 12 years as a tanker on the M1 through the M1A1 and all the variants between. We spent an enormous amount of time just doing maintenance on those beasts. If you slacked off a week you would be in trouble. I'll admit that there is a vast difference mechanically between the two but I'm a firm believer that times change but people really don't. We used to goto Walmart and by paint and tools out of our own pockets to keep the tanks looking as .. well .. as good as we could. I imagine that the people who were running your stacker had to have done SOME maintenance .. after all .. there is always a 'chain of command' that are quick to make 'comments' if something is wrong.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

mobilgas

Oh go ahead and scratch your own hose clamps ;)  here's a picture of some out of my stash for reference    Craig

lab-dad

I did the wire ones on my 1/16 Death Valley Plymouth  ;D ;D ;D
Actually was fairly easy once I figured it out ;)
-Marty

Chuck Doan

I think it can look this way and still be in service. Just add a slightly shiny sheen to the items that are touched (floor plates seat handles, etc.) This might be no more than some light finger burnishing. Also once you add the oil leaks etc, touch a bit of high gloss to indicate a fresh leak. Plus clutter like your yard mule to indicate current activity.

But you already knew all this.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ken Hamilton

Moving right along.......
The hoses are now weathered a little (...Nick....) and a step for the driver has been added:

A battery box, battery, radiator supports and the rest of the wiring are in, too.
The steering wheel DOES exist (...Russ...) but it's loose in this shot.  It needs more work.

For a change of pace this weekend, I built a lumber cart.  The frame is brass built around Grandt
Line 1/48 wheels. The finishing sequence is (1) automotive primer, (2) Rustoleum "Terra Cotta" for texture;
Quick, successive, light squirts of Floquil Rail Brown and Instant Weathering, following by a short
spritze of Primer from about 18":

That was followed by thin washes of Earth Brown to tie everything together:

While that was drying, I built the wood frame which, when finished, was glued to the truck:

The wood load finished the job:

For the record, here's what all this is headed towards.  This mock-up shows the placement of the
components of the eventual diorama.  This lumber stack will be at least twice as high and there
will be another taller one behind it.  The cart will ride on rails and there will be a worn dirt path for
the Staker between the two:

Thanks for looking.  Have a safe & happy Memorial Day.

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

NORCALLOGGER

Ken,
Just magnificent, no other words can describe it.
Thanks for sharing your great effort.
Rick

Marc988

Nice update !  :o

with those 3 different items side by side, the scene really comes to live !!

Looking forward to the next update  ;)  ;D

finescalerr

Most satisfactory. So far. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Ken

Excellent job.  Really looking forward to seeing it in person.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Philip Smith