• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2"-Scale Lumber Stacker

Started by Ken Hamilton, October 30, 2009, 09:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belg

Ken, I have just been sitting back and enjoying this entire thread. I was going thru some shots from one of my favorite flicker photogs and she had this posted. Thought it very appropriate for this thread. Pat
http://www.flickr.com/photos/judiberdis/1349946638/in/set-72157602039181498/

Ken Hamilton

Funny how photos like that turn up when you start a project!  Thanks, Pat.

Progress on the stacker has beens slow, but I HAVE been working on the lumber stacks
for the diorama.  So far I've glued about 350 coffee stirrers,which made a stack of
lumber about 1" tall.  Good thing I've got 9,650 more stirrers   
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Marc988

and now you just HAVE to show us some pictures  ;)  ;D

Talking about pictures that inspire projects .... 2 pictures from Marc R just won't leave me alone, the one of the half track and the one from the tracked log hauler. From the tracked log hauler I found the following picture and info.
The tractor was build by Lamb Tractor Company, Hoquiam, Washington, USA, and on display at Hoquiam's Polson Museum.

shropshire lad

Quote from: Ken Hamilton on November 25, 2009, 09:43:21 PM
Funny how photos like that turn up when you start a project!  Thanks, Pat.

Progress on the stacker has beens slow, but I HAVE been working on the lumber stacks
for the diorama.  So far I've glued about 350 coffee stirrers,which made a stack of
lumber about 1" tall.  Good thing I've got 9,650 more stirrers   

By my reckoning that many stirrers should give you a stack of about twenty seven and a half inches . Is your stacker going to be able to get over that high a stack ?

Nick

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: shropshire lad on November 26, 2009, 10:41:30 AM
By my reckoning that many stirrers should give you a stack of about twenty seven and a half inches . Is your stacker going to be able to get over that high a stack ?
No......I'm going to limit the stacks to about 10" or so, but I'll need a couple of them side-by-side for effect.

The guys better get moving, though. They've got 9-1/2 boxes to go........

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

marc_reusser

Wow....and I thought some of the things I undertook were mind-numbing. ;) ;D

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mobilgas

Hey Ken,    are you going to put wood grain and stain each and every piece of wood ;D for your lumber stacks.     Craig

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: mobilgas on November 27, 2009, 06:32:22 PM
are you going to put wood grain and stain each and every piece of wood for your lumber stacks.
Not a chance, Craig.

For no apparent reason other than it's a slow Sunday night, here's the jig I'm using
to make the lumber stacks. The pile of sticks on the right is on short, tapered  2x4s........

The boards are pulled down off the slope, almost like playing cards being pulled out of
one of those automatic card dealers things........

A small plastic ruler is used to keep the pieces from jumping over each while they're
slid into place against the stops....

The black marks are for lining up the stackers, which are glued in place after all the boards are arranged.
The end result is a pile of what look like fence sections, which will be glued together later......

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.......

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

marc_reusser

The sloped 2x4 feeder ramp is an ingenious idea.

MR

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Very interesting!

That's what I love about this forum, I'm constantly learning new, useful techniques!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Ken Hamilton

Some computer problems kept me away for a few days, but here's the latest progress.

Besides the drivetrain this model isn't really that complicated, so I wanted to detail the
clutches, forks, etc., as much as possible.  The easiest way to make most of the parts
was on the lathe.........

The two ends are pinned so they're easier to put on and take off.
Here's a rough mock-up....

Mine is configured a little differently from the one in the detail photos I got from Rick.
The clearances are different so I had to rearrange the drums & gears.  Here's Ricks:

Lastly, here's a closeup of the clutch forks, made from brass channel stock.
They still need a lot of work, but they'e coming along.

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

TRAINS1941

Ken

What a great idea (jig) for the wood stacks.

The frame and the drive train parts are just as good as it gets.  Just another interesting thread to follow.  And more to learn.
That's why and I guess this has been said many times it makes this forum so interesting.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

Great stuff Ken,...you really are pulling out all the materials for this one ;).

MR

M-Works

NORCALLOGGER

Ken,
That is coming along nicely.
I agree, the drive train in that critter is  fascinating.
Nice lathe work by the way.
What kind of lathe do you use?

Later
Rick Marty

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: NORCALLOGGER on December 07, 2009, 05:06:32 PM
What kind of lathe do you use?
Rick
Thanks, Rick.
I've got an old Sherline that I've had for about 20 years.  My machining skills are minimal
at best...I know just about enough to get myself in trouble and don't know any of the "finer points"
of machining.  Wish I knew more.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com