• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2"-Scale Lumber Stacker

Started by Ken Hamilton, October 30, 2009, 09:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORCALLOGGER

Hi Ken,
Know what you mean about machining ability.  I just got a lathe about 2 weeks ago and it is the first time I have played with one since High School shop classes.  I am trying to come up to speed on the basics but knowdledge seems to take a long time and skill even longer.  One thing for sure it shot the hell out of the hobby budget for a while  :(:). I had put off getting one for a long time but now that I am starting the Marion Shovel builds I "just needed" one. 
Keep us posted on your build.
Later
Rick Marty

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: NORCALLOGGER on December 07, 2009, 09:28:18 PM
Keep us posted on your build.
The build would be progressing faster if some wiseguy hadn't sent a bunch of
reference photos that just HAD to be worked into the project...... ;)
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Ken Hamilton

I'm taking a break from the repitition of building lumber stacks by jumping into the
repitition of making the brackets that carry the lumber up the conveyor. 
A close look at this photo shows the configuration of the brackets:

After trying strip brass (couldn't get the right size), heating and bending styrene, trying to
bend un-heated styrene, building a master and trying to cast it in resin (...what a mess THAT
was...), I decided to make a jig and build the brackets assembly-line fashion out of strip styrene.
Here's the simple jig with the required pre-cut pieces and a finished bracket:

The first step is the place the "bottom" section in the jig and glue this little center piece in place.
The jig centers it on the bottom piece:

Next, the piece is moved into the other jig that lines up the center pieces of the bracket:

When those are in place, the diagonals are attached, followed by two little tabs
that finish off the look of "bent" arms:

Some rounding off of the corners and a few NBWs will finish off the bracket. 
I need about 40 of them, but with the jig it should go pretty quick.

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

Ray Dunakin

I always find it very educational to see how such complex structures/vehicles are modeled by breaking them down into their individual components.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I am so glad to find top modelers who build some parts several times. I recently built one small section of a structure three times. I just couldn't get it to look right. I finally achieved something acceptable on the fourth attempt. -- Russ

Ken Hamilton

"....SOME parts several times.."?
More often than not, the first few are just test runs!
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

TRAINS1941

Ken

You do make it look easy.  Thanks for showing us how they are made.  Hell I'd still be trying to figure out what to use.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ken Hamilton

The Dilemma:  How to keep the motor & driveshaft aligned, but permanently attach the driveshaft &
clutches to the frame, while keeping the motor removable so it could be worked on separately.
The Solution:
The rear bearing was permanently attached to the frame, as were the brackets holding the clutch yokes:

An extra pin was added to the bottom of the transmission:

That pin lines up with a hole in the rear trans mount on the crossmember:

The hollow driveshaft tube was fitted with a long rod that pushes in from the back of the shaft:

So...when the motor is permanently pinned in place, the center rod will be pushed through
the driveshaft into the end of the transmission, lining up the two and holding everything in
proper alignment.

I always like to pin as many subassemblies as possible during construction.
This is an example of why that's so helpful.

PS:  Tonight I also boxed in the tower so it's now a free-standing unit.
Here's a mock-up.  The top of the tower stands about 14" off the table.

More to come....................

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

finescalerr

More quality and ingenuity than we have a right to expect. -- Russ

Belg

Ken, its a pleasure to watch you work. Great solution and well explained, I always get a kick out of your pointing arrow, just simple but perfect for the job. Thanks Pat

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: Belg on December 13, 2009, 05:59:10 AM
......I always get a kick out of your pointing arrow.....
The other side of the arrow has a "Delta Airline" logo on it.  It's an old
airline swizzle-stick I picked up years ago.  Works great for Show-n-Tell!
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

RoughboyModelworks

Coming along beautifully Ken... it's always an inspiring treat to watch your projects come together. Excellent and simple solution on keeping all the drive line components aligned...

Paul

danpickard

Nice work Ken, its certainly starting to climb up now.  I imagine it will be a bit of a difficult model to move for show and tell occasions.  Good work with the pins as well, neat and precise.

I love the arrow too.  At first look, I thought "thats a lot of effort for a photoshop arrow", then had a closer look.  Very quick and easy idea to use when shooting specific SBS photo series.  Better add another stolen idea to my list...

Cheers,
Dan

mobilgas

Ken,     The build is comeing along nice....I like the over sized Arrow ill have to copy that one ::)  Craig

lab-dad

QuoteSo...when the motor is permanently pinned in place, the center rod will be pushed through
the driveshaft into the end of the transmission, lining up the two and holding everything in
proper alignment.

But then how will the clutches work? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

very nice!