• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Train Stop 1:87

Started by MrBrownstone, November 01, 2009, 02:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrBrownstone

Hey Guys,

Well I just started the mock-up of the train stop project. (just to see if the math adds up... for hieght and demensions)
(not using the kit in background, was used for scaling/size reference... I will post the scratched lumber for the structure pieces...next)

Made a temporary project/subject base for the footings (6" x 12" scaled photo 01)  the large ties that hold the rails (code 83)are to be tounged and then channeled (12" x 12" scaled, test piece photo 02, 03)

So now I know that the footings and framming with the top deck adds up to the platform level for the shelf layout.

I will post more as I go.... (getting all the pieces together for staining... scary thought...  :o )

feel free to suggest or coment or advise me on any of this...  8)

FWIW: This is my first scratch build of this kind...  :-\

Mike

MrBrownstone

Hey for those of you who have not seen Hauks post of the train stop, in the childs play thread... here is a repost of that photo.

Mike

Hauk

It´s great fun to see that this little trainstop has made it across the pond!

Some questions about your chice of materials, though.
Some of the beams look terrible heavy, what dimension are you using?

The correct size for the ties used in the platform is scale 10"X6". The length of the ties are 8´ 2,4".

It also seems like you are making things a bit unnecessary complicated.
Those little "ears" on the pillars have no root in reality, me thinks...

Looking forward to see more progress!

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

MrBrownstone

Hey Hauk,

well after finding that the code 83 rail (this is also the size rail on the layout) the 6x10 was not going to produce the same constructed look.
Sooo... I had to improvise and use the 12x12 and the 6x12 to have the same look using the code 83.

Mike
some other test assembly and wood shots

MrBrownstone

Hey Hauk,

funny you mention 8.25 for the ties...

I had made my test subject tie at 8.25

Mike

Hauk

Quote from: MrBrownstone on November 02, 2009, 03:27:00 PM
Hey Hauk,

well after finding that the code 83 rail (this is also the size rail on the layout) the 6x10 was not going to produce the same constructed look.
Sooo... I had to improvise and use the 12x12 and the 6x12 to have the same look using the code 83.

I see... With the danger of going totally nitpicking on you, I would have tried to get some code 55 thats correct in H0.
The reason is that in my opinion the light rail and old ties tells a story. The materials are recycled, the rail is probably almost 100 yrs old rail from the days this line was narrow gauge (3´6"). The ties are somewhat newer,  since the ties have been changed several times after regauging the line.

But thats just me, there are no rights and wrongs here!

Regards, Håvard H

PS: Ijus read on a Norwegian Railroad Forum that these trainstops are beeing teared down and replaced as we speak. Another reminder to get your pictures and measurements before it is too late!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

MrBrownstone

Hauk,

You make a really good point on the time-line though

I guess I should use an older rail size for the construction... Thanks
(after seeing it next to the layout rail it probably would have not looked right)

Back to the beginning... but hey thats why I test things first (besides how else are we going to keep the scrap bin supplied for other trials...  :P)

Mike

MrBrownstone

This is one I will have to continue after the show...

I am going to see if I can find some better wood while I am at the show.

BTW: I still did not get my silverwood from cc crow.... just amazing...  >:(

Mike

finescalerr

Try ordering from Coronado or Caboose Hobbies or the Original Whistle Stop in Pasadena. Quit messing around with prima donnas! If Crow ever ships your bottle you'll have plenty of use for it in the future. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Mike,

Good Luck at the show.

In regards to the wood.....while at the show, I would strongly suggest you look for 'Mt. Albert' wood rather than 'Kappler'.  I have found in my experience that Kappler quality is somewhat mediocre at best.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Hauk

Quote from: marc_reusser on November 05, 2009, 01:24:14 AM
In regards to the wood.....while at the show, I would strongly suggest you look for 'Mt. Albert' wood rather than 'Kappler'.  I have found in my experience that Kappler quality is somewhat mediocre at best.

Seems like a quite a few modellers have issues with Kappler Stripwood.
I have used Kappler exclusively for the sawmill shown in another thread and quite a few other projects, and I have nothing to complain about regarding the quality of the wood.
An important reason for me for using Kappler is that they have an webshop where it  is possible to pay with creditcard when ordering directly from them.

Even if their quality is superior, ordering directly from Mt. Albert is just not an option as they have no webshop in any meaningful sense of the word, do not accept creditcards and neither use PayPal.

By the way, I would love to see a side-by-side comparasion between Northeastern, Kappler and Mt. Albert. Preferably the smaller sizes. All bought the last year or so.  Anyone up to the task?

Regards, Hauk
--

MrBrownstone

Hey Hauk,

If I see some there I will get some... would'nt mind comparing them myself either...  ;D

Mike

finescalerr

I happen to like Jerry Cornwell, the owner of Mt. Albert, but some of the Mt. Albert stripwood I purchased at a hobby shop was pretty disappointing. It could have been just the particular package or batch I bought. Overall I find minor differences between Mt. Albert, Kappler, and Northeastern quality.

Unfortunately, on this forum, all you will get is anecdotal evidence about quality (like my basically meaningless story). If you realy want to do a more accurate survey, try asking half a dozen high end kit manufacturers what they use and why. Many are very meticulous about their choices and have good reasons why they buy from a given supplier.

Russ

MrBrownstone

Hey Russ,

That's a good idea too... seeing as alot of them will be there.   ;)

I will take lots of photos... of the models on display  ;)

I will try and get some good photo's of the train ride as well

Mike

RoughboyModelworks

Well my take on this is partly biased because I've known Jerry for a very long time but is also based on first-hand experience with his product. When Richard and I produced our first kit (Clyde's Place) for Archive Models we used exclusively Mt. Albert Lumber. It was an entirely wood kit (excluding the cast plaster stoop, cast figure and Grandt hardware), board-by-board shiplap siding over board-by-board prototype framing. I don't remember the exact quantity of wood we used, but it was something extreme like three linear miles in total. We were 100% satisfied with the quality of all the wood, had virtually no waste pieces. It was clean, clear, consistent in colour and grain and dimensionally consistent. These factors plus pricing plus availability were our reasons for choosing Mt. Albert. Now, that was 15-16 years ago and perhaps times and lumber sources have changed. I still have a large supply of scale lumber from Mt. Albert which is uniformly excellent, but again it's older stock. I haven't had any experience with new product from them, but knowing Jerry as I do, I can't see him putting out an inferior product.

Paul