• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35 Lumber Buggy

Started by Marc988, November 16, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc988

Hi all,

through this thread http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=405.0 I received a lot of information on and of site. Based on this information I plan to build a 1:35 Lumber Buggy strongly based on James' pictures.

In this thread I will post my first SBS on this scratchbuild project. I will not build as fast as some of you guys here but plan to post updates frequently.  ;) Any advise and comments are of course welcome.

I will use the engine from a 1:35 WW2 GMC truck and will use the wheels from another kit. I have started building the basic frame.

I hope you like the SBS.

Cheers,
Marc

PS: I tried to add a picture of 157kB through the additional Options but keep getting an error. Any suggestions ?

Marc988

Fingers crossed  ;)

marc_reusser

Aha!...it begins. Look forward to following your progress on this.

I think the problem with the photo was not KB size, but rather pixel dimensions.  Though the image upload KB per image, or total combination of images, in the "Additional Options" is 200KB,  there is likely a pixel constraint as well. I would suggest trying to keep any images to 800 pix width max (I personaly use 550 or 600) .....because if the image is to large it slows upload time for those with non high-speed connections, and it makes it necessary to scroll side-to-side for those with smaller monitors or that have set their screen resolution to 800 x 640 (yes, I know that is an old standard...but there still are the "visually challenged" that have theirs set to this for easier viewing and reading).  ;)

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ken Hamilton

Bring it on, Marc988.  I'll be watching this one very closely!!
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Marc988

at the moment I am working out the drivetrain arrangement and run into a snag. I need some suggestions on how the drive shaft from the cardan in the centre to the chain drive on both side could have been supported.
Letting it "float" in mid between these 2 connections doesn't seem like a good idea   ::)

thanks in advance,
Marc

Ken Hamilton

Marc, unless it's an unusually long driveshaft, it probably wouldn't have
been supported between the universal joints at each end.  Do you have
any photos if the area in question on the real thing?  I'm not quite sure
how you're trying to lay it out.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Marc988

attached you will find an image of the current state. From the cardan "box" in the rear middke 2 axles will leave cardan and be fixed to 2 chain drives on the outsid of the vehicle. By doing so they will cross the metal tibes in which the suspension of th wheels houses.

All remarks are of course more than welcome.

james_coldicott

Hi Marc,

good to see you making some progress on your project. Just a comment following from Ken (above) and your modelling of the differential gear ('cadan?').

The axle would definitely be floating to allow the suspension to work so not sure about the channel you have attached as this. It is not fixed to the body here but is suspended between the connecting rods that pass through the side pods.

I've done a quick sketch to explain (hopefully) how the upper drive axle, chain drive and suspension all interact. No computer generated stuff I'm afraid but hopefully the cross section makes clear. The upper and lower axles, conecting rods, chain drive etc are all fixed in relation to each other. As the suspension moves up and down all of these parts move vertically through the side pods of the body that you have modelled already and I've hatched in the sketch.

Will also repost my side view where you can see the universal joint in the drive train from the engine.

Hope this helps

James

james_coldicott

Side view of lumber buggy- note universal joint behind the seat. The three point suspension lever is fixed on the left, attached to the connecting rod that connects the upper drive axle and lower wheel axle (and passes through the side pod of the body). The chain from the right of the rod enters the side pod where there is some kind of spring arrangement for the suspension.

Have fun!

J

marc_reusser

Really great info James. Thanks.

So is that buggy in your backyard? ;) ;D

MR

M-Works

Marc988

Hi James,

thanks for the sketch and explenation. Looking at your picture more closely I see what you mean and you're right. That's what you get when you start building without studying the pictures close enough.  ::)  :'(

Of course the beams are already attached to the differential gear (Murphy's law)  :-\ but no problem I can take it apart again. I will change the set-up as you've sketched. This also solves the problem on how to mount the axles. I will see if I can fix this tonight.

to be continued......

james_coldicott

Marc,

glad to be of help!

Marc,

Joanne would kill me if I brought a lumber buggy home! Shipping to the UK also a bit steep. I took over 600 photo's that day of equipment at Sturgeons Mill but only 3 of the buggy- who'd have thought I'd be wishing I took more? :-\

James

Marc988

BTW, saw a movie last weekend on TV called Death Race. The last place you'd be looking for logging equipment you'd think. In the last part of the movie though you see a car scrapyard. After looking twice I noticed the basis for a bill-board was this lumber buggy  :o
It was only in screen for seconds but funny to notice you sometimes find things where you least expect it.

shropshire lad

Quote from: james_coldicott on November 23, 2009, 01:52:29 AM
Marc,

glad to be of help!

Marc,

Joanne would kill me if I brought a lumber buggy home! Shipping to the UK also a bit steep. I took over 600 photo's that day of equipment at Sturgeons Mill but only 3 of the buggy- who'd have thought I'd be wishing I took more? :-\

James

Well , James , you'll just have to go back and take some more shots,

Nick

marc_reusser

Marc,

Re. The Sherman used for a tower skidder/yarder. The top three images are a different styly/type than the one I was thinking of, but also appear to use sherman tracks/bogies (though I know nothing of Shermans....except for the one that burned Atlanta. ;) )

I believe the truck below is a yarder. Note the opening in the roof to run lines up to a spar.

MR

M-Works