• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Stanton Street, New York City

Started by DaKra, November 18, 2009, 05:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaKra

Figured since I've stopped lurking and started posting, I should introduce myself and show a little of what I do in 1/87.    This is my scratch built rendition of a NYC scene, as photographed in 1937.  It is all scratch built, mostly using a laser with graphics I generate in Adobe illustrator.  Besides general understanding of brick dimensions and the like, the only reference I used was the photo.         

More here: http://www.vectorcut.com/Diorama 

Dave

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

RoughboyModelworks

Nicely done Dave... has a very believable NYC Noir quality to it. Thanks for posting the photo and the link.

Paul

marc_reusser

Nice. I like this. The buildings, their character, scale and composition are all realistic and plausible.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Hauk

Quote from: DaKra on November 18, 2009, 05:08:26 PM
Figured since I've stopped lurking and started posting, I should introduce myself and show a little of what I do in 1/87.    This is my scratch built rendition of a NYC scene, as photographed in 1937.  It is all scratch built, mostly using a laser with graphics I generate in Adobe illustrator.  Besides general understanding of brick dimensions and the like, the only reference I used was the photo.         

Very nice! A wonderful understated and sublime scene. Putting figures in the scene would really spoil the effect.
I would love to hear more about your modelling techniques.

Regards, HÃ¥vard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

jacq01

Great. The model scene shows the atmosphere of the photo very well.
  I like it.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

HO scale, huh? Not inadequate. Please tell how you created the brick and other textures. -- Russ

jacq01

Havard,

QuotePutting figures in the scene would really spoil the effect.

True.  If figures are used, make it plausible.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

DaKra

Thanks for the positive feedback; I wasn't quite sure what to expect here.  "Not inadequate" on this forum is quite the endorsement.  :D

Agreed, figures are a bit risky.  They can bring life to the diorama, or kill it.  Even well made ones can make a diorama static, when viewed in person, not so much an issue in a photograph.    For Stanton Street, a friend suggested a fellow walking away from the camera, hands stuffed in his trenchcoat pockets, film noir style.   Might be a nice touch for the night scene, maybe for  next diorama I will do that. 

Dave

PS here's a scene from an earlier diorama, I modified Preiser figures and I think they worked really well this time.   

shropshire lad

I can recognise Russ peering around the corner , but who is the other chap in the overalls ?

Nick

finescalerr

That's Marc. At least we are appreciating one of the finest things in life rather than the well done peeling paint on the structure. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

MrBrownstone

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on November 19, 2009, 11:23:15 AM
That's Marc. At least we are appreciating one of the finest things in life rather than the well done peeling paint on the structure. -- Russ

What ? The old dog ?

Nick

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: shropshire lad on November 19, 2009, 02:06:48 PM
Quote from: finescalerr on November 19, 2009, 11:23:15 AM
What ? The old dog ?
    Nick

Must be Nick... you can't see a thong from here.... ;)

Nicely done again Dave... the story line is just subtle enough. I do prefer the Stanton St. piece though. It's truly evocative...

Paul