• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A 1915 gas-mech Boxcab in 2"-scale

Started by Waldbahner, November 29, 2009, 06:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waldbahner

Hello again,

Marc mentioned in the snwoplow topic, that I've also build a Boulder Valley Models style Boxcab. And here it is.

As I've started to 5" gauge modelrailroading some years ago, I build rolling stock from european industrial light railways in 2.5" scale. My first loco was a battery powered model of a Gmeinder Bdm 20/24 build from plywood. In 2007, I redesigned my railroad to an US logging railroad and also rebuild the diesel loco by adding wooden end sills and a wooden cab. But the model still looks more 2.5" scale and looks very big beside my 2"-scale rolling stock. The loco was also much to modern for my railroad.

After a long reserach on the internet, I came across with some pictures of early gasoline-mechanical boxcab locos. Those engines have been build in the eraly 1900 and wood match with the timetable of my railroad. An upgrowing logging railroad needs some new motive power... So they bought one brand new boxcab to support the steam locomotives on their daily work...

In late 2009, I started to dismantle my old Gmeinder locomotive down to the frame. The loco was build mostly out of plywood, so changes to the frame are very easy to do. The loco is powered by a 24V/250W motor and 2 batteries with 12V/42Ah each.

Click on thumbs for large pictures.

Along the frame, I added two boards for the new floor. You can sse the difference between the new floor and the top edge of the old frame design. I also build new axle boxes to replace the 2.5"-scale journals. On the Gmeinder loco, the axles have an offset of 2cm to the front, so I cut 4cm off on the rear end to negotate the wheel arrangement.

To complete the new chassic, I added endbeams with couplers and steps and painted the whole chassic in dark grey. The electric was installed and with the batteries on board I made first testruns. All is working fine so far. Now it's time to get the box build.

I choose 10mm plywood for the box. Next I added stripes and 500 nails to make the rivets (only three sides are finished yet. Some more nails will follow). Over all there are 840 nails for rivets on that box (!)...
The door and window frames are cnc milled out of plywood. I also start with the head light. Window frames and parts of the door are also cnc milled. The hand rails are bend from 4mm round aluminium and set into the side walls with nuts and washers.

The roof is removable to install the batteries. I made it from 4mm plywood, screwed to 4 ribs to get the curved roof. At last I spend some hours for painting until the loco was finally finished.

Bye, Gerd

Ken Hamilton

Wow....this big-scale stuff is wonderful.  Easy to see, too.
Great job, Gerd.  Very nicely done.  Thanks for the photos.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Brian Donovan

That is very cool and it looks an awful lot like my 7/8's scale boxcab critter -

-Brian

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World