• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Weathering a RTR painted subject

Started by Marc988, December 14, 2009, 04:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc988

Hi,

a lot of very interesting and usefull topics describe different weathering processes. However all of the ones I have read handle non-painted subject as a basis.
I would be very interested in learning some (equally convincing) techniques for recreating rust and fainted paintwork of RTR and already painted and lettered engines and rolling stock.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Regards,
Marc

lab-dad

For faded lettering a mist coat of the base color will work.
Weathering powders are an easy way to add some fading, soot or rust.
Light pin washes of artist's oils make nice rust streaks.
Positive paint chips can be done with any medium as can wear marks.
Some rain streaks with an acrylic in a dust color, thinned greatly and applied in a vertical (running down) manor.
Most of the techniques you see here will work on something painted so dont shy away.
Best bet is to pick up a cheap RTR car and experiment.
Worse case scenario, you repaint it!

-Marty

finescalerr

RMC and MR have published many articles over the years about that subject and the results the authors obtained range from hideous to decent. Marty has pretty much summed up the current techniques.

Appreciating your digestive system's violent reaction to lousy modeling I would urge you to avoid the magazine articles. Instead, develop your own techniques from Marty's list and your fund of knowledge. I selfishly await the results because I know they will be better than anything I've read in magazines and I want to publish an article about what you discover.

Russ

marc_reusser

Marc,

There used to be a forum/group called "Model Trains Weathered"...don't know if they are still active (last I heard they went from a free membership to a pay membership forum), the primary guys there (such as Rich Dividzio (?sp) ) did a lot of beautiful weathering work on O-scale RTR cars.....they did all sorts of techniques ranging from fading, to dirt, rust, grime, etc.....directly on the painted cars, and primarily using Guache paints.  There was an article in one of the US O-Scale magazines  about 6 months back that had a beautiful tank car in it done in this manner, with complete SBS.  I had to look a couple of times to make sure it was not a model.  I purchased that issue simply because of that model...I will se if I can dig it out of my piles of stuff.   

If I recall, some of the other guys from that forum, have their own sites where they show their work and techniques...I will also see if I have any links to them.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Here's the Model Trains Weathered Site:

http://www.modeltrainsweathered.com/

If you click on "Gallery", and then on "O-Scale Hopper"....that is the SBS of the car in the article I was talking about (sorry I thought it was a tank car.....slowly losing my mind :-X)

MR

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

Marc988

John McGuyer

Actually that is what I was trying to do with the 'Tale of Two Gondolas' thread. One was a RTR painted model and the other was a totally scratch built version of the same car.

John

JohnP

The O-Scale Hopper is wonderful and has a heavily weathered but reasonable overall appearance. The take-home for me is 1) simple paint and tools can be used easily and effectively 2) blend and soften the effects.

Nice photo display set-up too.

Thanks Marc
John Palecki