• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/87th truck

Started by Bulldozer, December 16, 2009, 01:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldozer

This is destined to be  abandoned to rust amongst the nettles and buddleia at the back of the workshop compound. Inspiration for the scene is drawn from this album on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberry/sets/72157603417401907/

I am rather pleased with semi-opaque qualities of the raw sienna gouache however some serious flaking is needed and I hope that hairspray will be the answer. Any suggestions are welcome, thank you.

marc_reusser

I am curious as to how you plan to use/approach the hairspray technique. Are you planning on painting over this truck and then flaking off the paint?

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

chester

B'dozer, is this an old Wiking model (Opel Blitz?)? One major improvement would be to sand off the cast-in-the-fender headlamps and add some new one's that sit properly.

Ken Hamilton

I just knew Chester would zero in on THIS thread.......

Merry Christmas, Pal.  Missed you at CSS-09
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Bulldozer

For the first attempt, I am trying the finishing skills rather than refining the base model. I did not want to use a 'better' model until I had improved my finishing. Once I am happy with the finish, the next model can be subjected to a certain amount of improvement with seats, steering wheel, mirrors etc.

As I am unsure of the 'hairspray' technique, I have used what skills I have before trying others hence the request for an explanation.

So far, I have just used gouache overall with a small amount of MIG powder on the bottom of the door, cab roof  and around the front bumper to discover what texture the combination produced.

At the moment, I need to learn to walk rather than fall at the first hurdle. 

mobilgas

Bulldozer,   My first thought looking at the truck, was that the paint...weathering... all was put on to thick in such a small scale.  Craig

Bulldozer

Too thick? How much do you dilute gouache?

I carefully built-up layers of paint in order to replicate the effect of rusting and having looked at the prototype photos on the Flickr site, I am not unhappy.

marc_reusser

Quote from: Bulldozer on December 16, 2009, 10:01:04 PM
As I am unsure of the 'hairspray' technique, I have used what skills I have before trying others hence the request for an explanation.

The hairspray technique functions by acting as a "resist"....meaning that it resists the bond between the layers of paint. Basically you need to apply your base tones/colors...which in your case would be different rust colors, (at this point some guys put on a clear sealer coat), then spray on the hairspray, and immediately when dry, spray your vehicle color(s) over the top of the hairspray. Now using wet brushes, wet toothpicks etc., you can begin carefuly chipping away, and making scratches in the color coat, and exposing the rust color(s) beneath. Then when you are done with all your chipping you come in with the rest of your rusting and weathering.

This arm has just started receiving further rusting with artists oil paints after the hairspray technique/removal was done:

Here are two SBS examples I started on this forum that will at least show you the steps to applying and removing the hairspray:

http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=347.msg4474#msg4474

http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=370.msg4413#msg4413

And here is probably the definitive discussion, explanations, and examples of the technique on the MIG forum (read all 7 pages):

http://www.migproductionsforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3293

Quote from: Bulldozer on December 16, 2009, 10:01:04 PM

At the moment, I need to learn to walk rather than fall at the first hurdle. 

Nothing wrong with that. ;) Keep us informed of your progress.

HTH,

MR.

M-Works

Bulldozer

http://www.battlefind.com/images/vehicles/axis_vehicles/Opel_Blitz.jpg I think that Wiking have captured the front bumper and grill rather well but the headlights do need upgrading.

Any ideas apart from filing some from solid?

DaKra

Keep it simple while you are still on training wheels.   A quick, simple and effective rust job can be done on an HO vehicle with the just salt method.  Helps if there is a good contrast between the rust undercoat and your paint overcoat. 

Paint model rust color overall-- dampen the model-- sprinkle with salt--- airbrush the paint color-- brush salt off ---chalk powder to taste, and its done. 

For the headlamps, check the craft store for beads and stick-on "jewels".  Some of them are half rounds in the approximate shape you need for a bug eye headlamp housing.  Drill the lamp and fender, and insert a short piece of wire for the post.  You can also use the plastic "jewels" for the reflector/lens.   Cost pennies.

Or you can spin a plastic sprue on a drill or motor tool, and use a file to get the shape you need.   Kinda tough to get two exactly matching ones though.   

Dave

Bulldozer

Funny how a lighting angles change the texture.

Thanks for the tips, I will start looking for new bits for the next project. 

marc_reusser

You can also very easily paint the chips onto the base colored vehicle (before rust pigments and weathering are applied)....FWIW, the model below was done in this manner (scale is 1/76).  If you plan to paint the chips the BEST paint for this is Vallejo Model Color....it goes on opaque and dries extremly flat and tight to the surface. I used a 0/15 brush to paint the chips.

MR

M-Works

chester

I see, then this is more an exercise in the hairspray technique. Well, a little trick that can be used in this small scale to improve the headlamps with very little effort is to simply drill out a lens opening, paint it silver and add a drop of clear wh. glue to the concave recess.

Thanks Ken, I missed not being able to see you guys at the show too. Maybe next year. Big project at work (thank God!) has me putting in some crazy hours. I haven't even been able to do any serious modeling for over a month.

Rucksack

Nice work Bulldozer,
...ready for the junkyard...
here is my first attempt in 1/87, using the salt method and hairspray technique. The rust on the bumper
was dabbed (or dappled ??? - hope this is the right word) with a small foam. Rusty holes in the fender
were drilled and scratched with a scalpel.

Marc, the tank is awesome (1/76  :o)
Sven
"The majority of german women is female" Helmut Kohl

Bulldozer

A nice little project for the holidays, that is just about complete :D