• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughboyModelworks

Here's the latest from Shorpy. Certainly an ugly-duckling version of a shay heading up a short excursion train... perhaps a shop-built conversion. Tag line on photo says 1906, Harbor Springs, MI. There is a wonderful hi-res version of this shot available for download from Shorpy.

Paul

Ray Dunakin

If I remember correctly, the Harbor Springs line was originally Ephraim Shay's personal RR, and he built the locos himself in his home shop.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

That is one of, if not the first Shay built. His first one's were quite ungainly. The high-res shot is amazing.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

This thing is a cndidate for a model by Gordon Birrell.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

shropshire lad

What the hell is this ? A lumber carrier perhaps ?

This came from the abandoned vehicle gallery of Earl Misanchuk at pbase.com

Nick

Gordon Ferguson

Nick, with that chain its got to be one of Ken's
Gordon

scrappy1

here's one for ya i spent the first part of my life living on a tabaco farm and spent many hours on a priming machine just like this

RoughboyModelworks

Here's one for Chuck... another classic from Shorpy. Photo was taken for the Farm Security Administration by Russell Lee in October 1937 - Highway 2, Western North Dakota. There is a hi-res version available for download from Shorpy.

Paul

Ray Dunakin

What a great little gas station! But no wonder it went out of business -- sure doesn't look like a "high traffic" location.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Notice the builder didn't use Chuck's cool little offset to make his gas station look better. Not surprising considering lack of sophistication in the location he chose .... -- Russ

Chuck Doan

Thanks Paul! I snagged the big copy. Shorpy rules!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Fred H.

Quote from: JohnP on December 22, 2009, 06:18:46 PM
Marc, that's a lot of tender for little loco in the first photo. The second loco is nicely balanced and looks complete on a smaller scale. It would make a nice project in a large scale, a handy size but full of details. How would one make that stack with hand tools?

Thomas Yorke sells that stack in 1:20.3 -- It's called a Rushton I believe. http://www.thomasayorke.com/LS_Details.html

RoughboyModelworks

Classic shot of roadside vernacular... "Eat and Sleep in a Wigwam" - Wigwam Village photographed by Marion Post Wolcott in 1940, on highway just south of Bardstown, Kentucky. Another classic shot from Shorpy.

Paul

marc_reusser

Dude, I stayed in some exactly like those in Tempe, AZ........

Cool pic. Thanks.

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works