• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

And one for the machine shop fans
Gordon

NE Brownstone

I took this photo years ago when I worked for Rebel Rentals in the Gulf coast oilfield as a power tong operator running completion tubing.  This is a blowout preventor just under the drill floor of a small workover rig perched on top of some little remote platform somewhere out there in the Gulf of Mexico.  Unfortunately, this was the last frame of the last roll I had and some dopey floorhand decided to stick his hand in the way.  I did do some photo shopping to get rid of his hand, but to get rid of the rest of him was taking some time and I just cropped the rest of him out.

Anyways, this thing looked like something out of Aliens and I had to take a shot of it.

Russ
The other, other Russ

Barney

Sorting some old photos out - taken some 35years back in the Devils Bridge area in Wales could not find much about it at the time but was told it was a Silver mine - what amazed me was how "American "it looked complete with its Grandt Line windows and nuts/bolts.
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Barney

Ray Dunakin

Cool ruins! That is some major rust -- looks like the whole thing's been dipped in acid.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I don't think Grandt Line offers that style of window. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Hampton's Store (and City Hall, Mayor's Office, and gas station) in Skullbone, TN:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brent_nashville/11459823335/

Looks like a great subject for a model!

Ray Dunakin's World

Ray Dunakin

Whimsical locomotive BBQ:

Ray Dunakin's World

Krusty

Fowler portable engine.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Krusty

Another Fowler portable engine.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Barney

Any ideas on this one ? -looks like a tin shed on rails !! hefty rails  and elaborate buffer stops .its situated in a barbed wire fenced off field by a Worcestershire village of Sherrif's Lench and looks like no one has entered the place for a long time
Barney
photo quality low mobile phone job!

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Lawton Maner

If the photos were taken northwest of Evensham, there is an old airfield about 2 miles west of its location to which it might be linked.  Can you provide a road or other reference from which to assist searching Google Maps?

Lawton Maner

Further research indicates that RAF Throckmortan was constructed in 1940 as a base for Wellington Bombers.  After the war it was used as a training site and as a Cold War Dispersal field for Volcan Bombers.  I suspect that the structure in question dates from the Cold War and might have been used in air defense of the air base.

Scratchman

Here's a photo of a boiler I found near my home.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/