• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughboyModelworks

Ah ha... the Burn Ballad Bungalow. Farrar and June Burn and their two boys evidently made two cross-country minstrel tours in this mobile home. Here's another shot, same day but slightly different angle. Picture taken on G Street in Washington, DC in 1929.

In a somewhat similar vein, here's another house conversion from Tennessee in 1936, though this one is considerably less mobile.

Paul

marc_reusser

QuoteAh ha... the Burn Ballad Bungalow. Farrar and June Burn and their two boys evidently made two cross-country minstrel tours in this mobile home. Here's another shot, same day but slightly different angle. Picture taken on G Street in Washington, DC in 1929.

..well aren't you just the wellspring of information! ;)

I have the second photo in my files as well.

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

The more useless and esoteric the information, the better I am at remembering it. Most of the time I'm not sure what day it is.. ;) Actually I remembered where I had seen that photo before, Shorpy, and there was some additional info published about the subjects by their descendants.

Paul

james_coldicott

The bungalow on wheels reminded me of this Nash Quad- it's body made from a redwood log with very cozy living quarters fitted out with timber from the same tree!

Enjoy

James

james_coldicott

...and another...

james_coldicott

...and some history...

James

Fred H.

"Travel log" not a bad play on words! In today's world it would be "stop the wanton rape of our ancient forests to bailout Detroit mobile monstrosity" (mobile monstrosity for short) or something similar.

Frederic Testard

Here is an interesting and unusual snowplow. Image found on the Wisconsin Historical Images gallery on Flickr.

Frederic Testard

gnichols

What you say?

marc_reusser

Well that plow is just plain scary.....and the bird is just plain creepy ;) ;D.

I predict Ken building a version of that plow in the near future.

MR

M-Works

marc_reusser

Mike,

Cool truck. I think Bill Roy used to make a 1/48 kit or conversion for something like that.

Craig is probably frustrated though, because it's blocking his view of the gas station. ;) ;D

MR

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Here again is Frenchies Bar, ca. 1940. I posted another version of this photo here a couple of years ago but this new scan is much larger and clearer, definitely worth reposting. This is obviously from the days when drinking and driving was considered just another evening's entertainment...

Paul

Frederic Testard

Frederic Testard

marc_reusser

While I was digging through the boxes of unscanned images for something, I decided to pull a few that sort of struck my fancy for one reason or another.

This one shows the loading of Mahogony logs in Honduras. These logs were then barked and shipped by sea to various Gulf ports (these supposedly went to Pensacola, Florida) from where the lumber were shipped to various furniture mfg. copmpaies throughout the country.

What I found interesting in this image, is that it gives the logging modeler another option other than always modeling California and the PacNW operations.....The cars appear to be Russel log cars, the loco is possibly a Heisler....but most intriguing to me, is the loading boom that can be seen in the upper left corner (note also the guy-wire stretching across the top right of the image).....this clearly denotes a "tunnel style loader" something like Lidgerwood, or (be still my beating heart) the "lost Mcgiffert of Honduras" [this was a Mcgiffert that they shipped to the coast of Hoduras, and then up river by boat and then overland...shades of Fitzcaraldo].  Looking at the gauge and construction of the track, I would be somewhat dubious about a Mcgiffert running on it....so likely a tunnel loader that was moved by log car and jacked-up/blocked, at the landing.

...so see, you can use the Bmann stuff to build a logging line in Honduras. ;)

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

I love this image.....to me it just screams to be modeled as a diorama, micro-layout or as one end of a larger layout. There is so much to see/build in this scene;

Two AHD loco cranes/shovels, and what appears to be a wheeled or tracked Marion shovel working the rock face. The old boiler as water or oil tank, on the flatcar. The hoist engine (donkey) and what looks to be part of a steel tank. The square wooden water tank, the shed, and the string of flat cars....not to mention the funky track layout.

The stone from this quarry operation was used to build the jetty at Crescent City.

MR

M-Works