• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandiaPaul

Here is a sign I liked. It is(was?) a few miles east of Albuquerque on old Rt 66.

Paul

chester

marc_reusser

This came in the mail yesterday....something for all you yarder sled builders ;)

This is a B&W scan of an 8x10  promotional photo from Clyde Iron Works, showing one of their diesel yarders being unloaded from a flat car.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Here's one from Shorpy for the gas pump guys, Chuck and Craig and all the rest of us who are into signs. I suspect some of these signs are actually performing a structural function, holding up the building. Photo taken in Gordonton, North Carolina in 1939 by Dorothea Lange. All that's missing is a set of antlers... ;)

Paul

Ray Dunakin

I like the various mismatched stacks of rocks holding up the porch.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Using the tree branches to support porches is a pretty common thing on old southern stores.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Chuck Doan

Here is a case where the builder used HO scale material (on the left) on his O scale shed. Shame!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yvan/3574593797/in/pool-ruraldecay
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Craig_H

Paul,    Lots of interesting details in that photo ;)  thanks for posting.       Craig

DaKra

no oil barrels, no tires,  no RR siding, no external staircase to a storage loft, no clock tower, no advertisements for a bordello in back,  no antlers, no mellon head people in glossy plastic suits ignoring each other, no cars with a levitating wheel and no water wheel.   But there are a few nail holes.   ;D

Chuck Doan

DaKra

Hey, when you use a pounce wheel to make 'em they're just holes.   ;D

Philip Smith

Paul,

That downtown deco dude has that structure for sale in HO.......IMO  the original looks much better as the copy doesn't capture the look, feel, and mood of the original. 

Philip

Krusty

Quotethe original looks much better as the copy doesn't capture the look, feel, and mood of the original.

I've always been deeply impressed by the special power that enables craftsman kit manufacturers to take any full-size structure and give it the look, feel, and mood of John Allen on his day off.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

DaKra

I have Betty Edwards excellent book on drawing.  In the introduction she discusses the way the brain and eye are not really aligned, that the un-trained brain simplifies and categorizes input from the eyes in such a way that the brain stores the information as symbols.   So laymen look, but they don't really see.  If they were asked to sketch from memory, the result is more often a childish, symbolistic drawing, for example, a house indicated by a square with a triangle on it for a roof, or a stick figure for a person.   

Dave

finescalerr

The same is true of the way most people hear music -- not as the music a musician hears where everything fits together and where the tone of each instrument must be pleasing -- but almost as independent sounds. That is why so many people can listen to hideous garbage on the radio, for example, and don't mind it because it's "in fashion". This is a pretty difficult thing to explain in two sentences but it's exactly analogous to what Dave wrote. -- Russ