• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

5x5x7 project (1/35 scale)

Started by marc_reusser, December 19, 2009, 10:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damn Cranky

Crazy About Rust!

marc_reusser

QuoteMore please, more!  Wow.
...Oh, stop it.  :-* ;)

Marty:
Yes, the top and bottom pieces were cut by hand.  I drew the plan view in CAD, printed it out, and used 3M "Photo mount" (the lower tack stuff..not the "777") to laminate it to 2 pieces of .010 sheet styrene (that had also been laminated together with the Photo Mount". The "assembly" was then "rough trimmed" with an Xacto to within about  .010 -.020 of the drawing/lines....then final trimmed and shaped with the disk sander.  The inside was then cut out with an Xacto, and cleaned-up with the occasional scrape from the edge of the blade, and cut-down sanding sticks. It's not perfect...I have some uneven width areas of up to .004...but it will do for this, as most of the frame will be hidden under the body.

Here is a quickie shot of it as I was heading out the door.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

How do you separate the two pieces of sheet styrene after cutting out the shapes? How much trouble is it to remove the photo mount adhesive?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

You should be a professional! -- Russ

marc_reusser

Ray:
The photo mounted pieces seperate very easily....I just slid the Xacto between them and pulled it along the parts. No sweat. The paper came of easily as well. It does leave a residue, which can be scrubbed off using a paper towel dipped in 90% Isoprpyl alchohol. I did something that I would probably not do again...but at the time I thought it was just brilliant...I left the residue on the parts, so I could "tack" them down to the steel plate while gluing the vertical .156 strip in place........since the assebled frame at this scale, and step in the process, is still fragile, it was not the most fun to remove the residue after assembly.

Russ:
...umm, a professional what? (hopefully not the thing most people think I am. ;) ;D )

MR

M-Works

lab-dad

Thanks Marc,
Kinda what I figured.
Frame turned out sweet!
Gives me an idea about photo etched!...
-Marty

Mr Potato Head

Marc can you send me that cad drawing so I can see if I can photo etch them??? I asume that they are 1:32/1:35 two foot???
thanks
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

lab-dad

OOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Gil, can I be your new BFF?
-Marty

Mr Potato Head

Sure Marty you can be my new bestest BFF, I will need brass machined parts that can be your part of the new partnership ; - )-)
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

Before you two guys get all huggy and happy, and have some kind of spooning fest, let me throw this little wrench into your plans.....

Scale is NOT 1/32........and it's not 1/35 2-foot......it is 1/35  690mm gauge.....meaning it is 1/35 scale...pretending to be (with much eye squinting and ignorance of fact) 600mm gauge...using HO/On30 scale track and mechs.

The inside of the frame width is 2'-8" in 1/35 scale...and 2'-4.5" in 1/32.

.....So it likely won't work for what you have planned. To top it off, it is not a standard skip length...but rather based on a drawing of an oddball unit....and then length adjusted to achieve the look I wantd/need for the caboose body.

That all said, if you want a CAD drawings for a skip, frame, body, etc., and you know mfr, or have access to prototype drawings...or want me to extrapolate from a catalog image...so you can do PE parts, Let me know....would be happy to.  You might want to check with Jerry at FMW to see if you can get some info on the journal boxes and wheels he's working on so that they could be worked into/used with, the design.

MR

M-Works

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Gil, is that your hand on my brass?.....

Mr Potato Head

Please! I'm from a "RED" state! Only our most prestigious Senators do those things, and in a Minneapolis restroom, never in my home state!
Tell Me Blind Willy why our esteemed friend would build: "Scale is NOT 1/32........and it's not 1/35 2-foot......it is 1/35 690mm gauge"
Knowing that the rest of us: want to build something more normal? Just like Marc, swimming upstream, when it's spring time and the water is flowing downstream!
Oh well we'll have to find someone else to make us a correct drawing, for something more universal 
Gil
Blue man from a red state
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

lab-dad

I'll have a look in my freight car encyclopedia and see if there are any AMERICAN ones we can use/copy.
-Mj

marc_reusser

Dudes....I have amerikun ones...evene ones that were shipped all over the world. 

Many companies here built some kind of skips and small dump cars....many of them unknown in the lareger RR community, because they were small non RR companies that built them as part of their other product lines targeting road builders, quarries, mines, construction, agriculture, etc.....that had nothing to do with typical RR.

It might behoove you to look at something from a company like that, then if you do not do an exact and faithful representation.....you won't be hanging out there in the firing line.....like you might ifyou did O&K, Decauville, Hunslet, Magor, Ameican Car & Foundry, etc.

Luckily I have catalogs with stuff like this :P ;D....but since you seem to have decided to go it on your own..... ;D ;D ;D

Marc

M-Works