• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Dos Manos - Building #4

Started by Ray Dunakin, January 09, 2010, 07:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Looks good Ray. Very cleanly built. 

I had almost  that wallpaper...but very dingy and gritty/dirty looking as the desktop paper on my monitors  ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Here's another brief update...

I finally fixed the gaps in the stone walls. I mixed a small quantity of mortar, added some "charcoal" pigment to darken it a little, and smeared onto the walls of the building by hand. When I was sure it had been pressed into all the gaps, I carefully rinsed off the excess while lightly rubbing it with my hand. In some areas I also used a soft paintbrush.

After the mortar had set, I scrubbed the walls with stiff brush under running water, to remove some of the residue. It still needs a little touch up here and there, but I think it looks a lot better now:

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Looks like the morter didnt effect the stones at all. Glad you found a solution!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

A considerable improvement. It looks good. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Here's the latest update...

I started working on the furnishings for the storefront interior. I built some cabinets with shelves out of styrene. These were "distressed" to look like they've been around a long time and have never been refinished. The design and "weathering" were inspired by photos from the J. A. Merriam Drug store in Colorado, which I got from a "No Frills" photo CD on ebay.

Using regular spray paints, I sprayed them with gray primer, then a mist of red-brown primer, and a little bit of light brown. Then I brushed on a reddish-brown mix of Apple Barrel flat acrylics. I used a dark brown mix for the trim. After this had dried, I brushed on a thin wash of artist's gloss medium, which really gives it a nice varnished look. When that had dried, I chipped and scraped away small bits of the surface paint. Then I went over it with a Scotch-Brite pad.

I still have to make the merchandise to fill the shelves. I also have to make some other furnishings, "weather" the interior, add signs and displays, and lights. The false doorway at the rear will have a curtain draped across it.

Here's a shot of the interior with the cabinets temporarily placed in position:

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

It would be very difficult to tell, from the photos alone, that the scale is smaller than 1:1. Very nice work. -- Russ

RoughboyModelworks

Nicely done Ray... I'm curious to see what you're going to be using to "stock" the shelves.

Paul

lab-dad

I am curious to see the "process" of making the items for the shelves.......
Seems like a GIANT PITA!
shelves look great though!
-Marty

Ken Hamilton

Ray, those shelves to indeed look real.  The finish is perfect.
Great job.
I'm anxious to see how you stock the shelves, too.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Geoff Ringle

Ray,
This will be a wonderful addition to your town.... looks great.  I am also wondering what will be sold in this shop?
Geoff

marc_reusser

Ray,

I can only echo everyone elses sentiments.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Frederic Testard

A really nice room, Ray. The furniture finish is excellent.
Frederic Testard

Ray Dunakin

I just finished a wood framed, glass display case for the drug store interior:   

The frame was made of styrene. The glass is polycarbonate, and was installed after the frame was painted. I used artist's gloss medium to glue the polycarbonate into the frame. The middle shelf was put in last.

The cabinet was "distressed" to look old and a bit worn. The weathering looks harsher in the photos than in real life. I may try to tone it down later.

I have a couple photos of the cabinet under construction, beginning here:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR_Dos_Manos.html#96

I'm still working on the merchandise to stock the shelves.

Ray Dunakin's World

Ray Dunakin

Lately I've been busy making merchandise to stock the shelves of the drug store. I've made about 150 bottles so far. These were turned by hand using a power drill as a crude lathe. I use a Dremel with a cutting disk to shape them as they turn, then smooth them with steel wool and finally polish them with a bit of toothpaste on a rag. Some of the bottles are then painted with transparent colors. Then they're labeled using decals I printed out, from scaled down photos of vintage medicine labels. After decalling, the bottles are sprayed with glossy Krylon clear. Here's a few of the bottles. 

I'm also making small boxes for the shelves. These a cut from various sizes of styrene rod. Most are glued together, then painted. Labels are printed out on self-adhesive vinyl.

Here's a test shot of the shelves in place, with some of the bottles and boxes installed. I still have many more to go, plus lots of other little details:

Ray Dunakin's World

jacq01

Ray,

WOW.   you are outdoing yourselve.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.