• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/24 Gn15 Crane

Started by Gordon Ferguson, January 20, 2010, 01:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Gordon ,

Have you looked at the MIG Productions Forum yet ? There is a wealth of information there going into the various techniques Marc has listed .
  If it were me , I would be inclined to put your crane to one side and try some of these new techniques on some other model that isn't as valuable . Whilst most of the techniques are reversable it would be a shame to spoil the crane after all the work you have put into it .
  Of course , I never take my own advice !

Nick

Gordon Ferguson

Nick,

yes I spend far too much time on The MIG site, and that is probably the problem - trying to run before I can walk!

Its good advice on the crane, but I do need to finish it soon - so as I said I have reverted to my old methods. As far as advance techniques are concerned going to dig out some old kits and practice on them, modern problem want the answer now, but not prepared to put the work and practice in first.

I blame people like Marc, Chuck & Cranky for posting these wonderful finishes ... seem to remember you may may be to blame as well , i.e. that narrow gauge loco, etc.
Gordon

Gordon Ferguson

OK crane given re-paint, its ended up not exactly where I first imagined but the fun is rapidly going out of this project ... so its time to accept that I need more practice to start to get close to what I do want to achieve.

Was going to strip origonal paint off but decided that i would try to use previous coat as base and respray with lighter colours and then use hair spray for chipping, followed with gouache watercolours for some weathering graphite for the worn steel edges .

its looks better than previous attempt in natural light,  but finish is still a bit overdone and "muddy" - but it's time to move on.

Off to do some homework & practice for a couple of weeks .... then the roller
Gordon

marc_reusser

I do like the color better, and I also like how, and where, you have done the wear areas down to the metal. 

Don't sweat it, we all fall victim to overworking stuff....I know I have.

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

I like it!
I think you have done very well!
The improvements really helped.
I also agree it is time to move on, dont overdo a great finish!
-Marty

jacq01

Yep,  don't touch it any further.................. :D

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

An improvement, and I'm glad you were able to achieve that. -- Russ

Damn Cranky

Crazy About Rust!

Gordon Ferguson

One final shot, with stabilisers fitted & painted......

Thanks for the feedback,& suggestions, hopefully you will see at least some of these incorporated in the painting of the roller .
Gordon

Andi Little

Continuing to to be a very, VERY - nice job Gordon. Those outriggers and feet really do help to complete the illusion.

Struggling with mine at the minute....... I'm at that - "doesn't matter what I do it goes wrong stage"!!!

However I take great heart from seeing yours complete and will remain steadfast.

Cheers bloke............................
KBO..................... Andi.

marc_reusser

Those look great. I like the weathering on them, and the fact that you chose to make them a different color (like they were salvaged from another piece of equipment.)

MR

M-Works

Andi Little

Gordon................. please excuse me? - But rather than open a whole new thread I thought you might not mind too much if I just threw this into your pool of light for a moment?

My contribution then to the Gn15 Crane challenge over on the Gnatterbox [are we allowed to cross pollinate boards here?].................... anyhoo - here you go -;-

Tah-daah!!!
KBO..................... Andi.

Chuck Doan

Gordon, that is coming out nice! A neat little piece.

Andi, that is great too! What an amazing design! I have to ask...where did the chains come from?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

WOW Andi...Sweet...really cool design, I like the paint work and weathering on all the raw and painted metal surfaces.  The only thin that bugs me, and detracts, is the undersized hook and cables.

Marc

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Both great looking cranes!

Andi, I agree with Marc about the hook and cable.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World