• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Dinghy diorama

Started by Hector Bell, April 08, 2007, 03:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughboyModelworks

Hey Martin... good to see you back, been a long time.

I'm sure you're familiar with this book but others here might not be: Ewart Freeston's The Construction of Model Open Boats, published by Conway Maritime Press in 1975. I've had my copy since the early 80s, though unfortunately it is currently buried at the back of the black hole of our storage unit. He had an interesting technique of carving a paper-thin hull from a solid or laminated block of wood, adding the ribs, interior framing and details and planking the outside with paper or sometimes thin scale lumber. I don't know how well they've stood the test of time, but he certainly did some beautiful work. The book's been out-of-print for years but you can find copies on Amazon for a reasonable price. Stay away from the rare book dealers though, they want an arm and a leg.

Paul

eTraxx

Paul. Thanks for the heads up .. just placed an order for a copy from Amazon.com
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Philip Smith

I'm interested. I'm a fan of river packets. Framing seem to be a lost art as references are scarce. I was down at Green Castle Ky...  browns lock and dam back in May of this year and thought I'd share this photo of the lock wall, overgrown by grape vine.

A how to would be nice!

Philip  

Hector Bell

OK chaps, I'll have a go. I'll do a fairly simple boat, like a Humber Gold duster.  Two simple removable masts, a sprit rig, not too much shape, clinker built.

Ewart Freeston was a renowned builder of beach boats, but that carved shell system is something I can't get my head round. Too fragile and I couldn't be bothered to get a set of fine gouges and keep them that sharp!

Mine are basically built like real boats.

I use pear veneer as it has no grain to speak of.  Plasticard could be used , but warping is always a pain with styrene.  That little dinghy is now about 15 years old and is still in perfect condition, painted with good old Floquil, my favourite paint.

More anon.
Bed time now.

Martin