• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Old Rooming House scratchbuild

Started by mabloodhound, February 05, 2010, 05:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabloodhound

Built from photos of a rooming house that stood in Baraga Mich from late 1800 to mid 1940's or so.
Also know as the Honeymoon Hotel.
My first scratchbuild in 1:48.   You can follow the build here: http://www.modelersguild.thetrainclubco.com/e-magazine/follow-the-build/scratch-builds/252-rooming-house-scratch-build-o-scale.html

Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

marc_reusser

Welcome to the forum.

Really neat structure, and a very thorough and well presented SBS. The roof looks like it was a heck of an undertaking/project all of it own.

I do have to say that there are two things that really bug me on the build: the perponderence of overscaled nail holes, and for all the work building-up the laser cut door & windows, they should really have been painted with an airbrush rather than with a brush (would have made them much crisper & cleaner.)

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mabloodhound

Marc,
I agree with your comments.   This being my first scratchbuild, it was a learning process for me.
Yes, the nail holes (sic) look like spikes but it's done now.   I'm not a great fan of nail holes, particularly on a painted building, after doing this one.
The building still needs some weathering and I may be able to tone down those nail holes.   I need to buy some powder or chalk for that and practice some before I tackle this though.

I don't have an airbrush and live on a low fixed income.   But the doors, etc really could have benefited from a better paint job.   Live and learn.
As for the roof, the standing seam was quite simple with the styrene.   The mansard also turned out to be quite easy, although I had my doubts at first.   The shingles were the most tedious part.   But they did make it look right.
Thanks for reading the build thread.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower