• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

What I spent My Allowance On (New Stuff For The Bench)

Started by marc_reusser, February 26, 2010, 02:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Quote from: Lawton Maner on March 03, 2012, 02:52:28 AM
Not my allowance, but a Wedding present from my wife 6 years ago!  It is a tablesaw popular with boat and glider modelers.  I now can make all of the custom sized wood strip I need without the hastle of trial and error associated with the cheaper saws from Micromark and other vendors.  Making accurate 1/48 scale sized pieces can be addictive.  And with the Micrometer attached to the fence, you can make one piece at a time and not have to produce a year's supply of a given size at once.  And, yes you can cut balsa thin enough to see through it.

I've even itused to produce marketery (SP?) in the cabinet shop from holly and other hard woods.

Just a satisfied customer without any connection to the company

Follow the link to see it:  http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/index.html?id_mm=1220MM920589

Oh no! They offer 230V machines now! I have drooled over the Byrnes disk sander and saw earlier, but the urge to spend was kept in control by the fact that only 120V versions was available.

I am *very* tempted by that disk sander. I have a Proxxon disk sander, and it is the most useless piece of crap in my workshop.
Anyone that hav tried that sander? I am looking for a machine that can handle sanding the ends of wood of about 1/4"X1/4" to precise angles.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Lawton Maner

I have found that the mitre guage which comes with Byrnes Saw and a spacer block clamped to the rip fence to prevent binding and kickback is a simple way to repeatedly cut parts such as the posts for a railroad trestle.  And once the rip fence to saw blade distance is set, both the straight and angled posts are cut to length with out any complicated math to find the length of the angled posts (the parrallel line thingy from high school geometery).  The only thing the Byrnes saw won't do is cut compound mitres.

marc_reusser

Not exactly tools or stuff for the bench....but hey....felt like I won the lottery this week when the mailman brought these

Michael Fichtenmayer/Industria Mechanika "Remora" kit, and Paul Ranta/Big Red Collective "Factory Drill Press" kit.

Have not had time to really go through them yet, but hope to over the weekend.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Wesleybeks

Nice Marc. I'm interested to see what you do with the drill press.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

shropshire lad

Marc ,

Glad to see that you have got yourself one of Michael's Remoras . I think it is a stunning kit and goes together without any problems . I have finished mine and will take some pictures over the weekend . It is not as subtle as Michael's but I am fairly pleased with what I've done . All I need to do now is finish the floating island it goes with .

I hope he does produce a lightship sometime in the future as that would be a monster .

Nick

lab-dad

Congrats Marc!
Are you going to build a floating machine shop?
Guess it wont have a lathe in it......
=Marty

Mr Potato Head

hey "M" whats the deal with the drill press? I don't see it on their website? New item not out yet or did I miss it?
thanks
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Malachi Constant

-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Bexley

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

marc_reusser

Bexley,

The "pre-order" wait was about 30-40 days I think (can't remember exactly when I ordered it).....and once I got the shipping notification from the PO./iMech, it took about 5-7 days to get to me.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Bexley

Hm. I ordered two of the welder girls a few weeks ago, and the store listed them as in stock. I guess I will have to contact them and see what's up. I suppose it was possible that it was a pre-order and I wasn't paying attention, but my recollection was that they were listed as in stock. Though, I suppose the stock quantity could have just been set to whatever their expected first run was.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

shropshire lad

Quote from: Bexley on March 25, 2012, 01:25:37 PM
Hm. I ordered two of the welder girls a few weeks ago, and the store listed them as in stock. I guess I will have to contact them and see what's up. I suppose it was possible that it was a pre-order and I wasn't paying attention, but my recollection was that they were listed as in stock. Though, I suppose the stock quantity could have just been set to whatever their expected first run was.

Blimey , give the poor chap a chance he only announced Sasha on 13th of March and it clearly says on his website that they are not going to be delivered for a few weeks . A bit of patience is required .

lab-dad

Anyone pre-order a "Sasha" they dont want?
My Hornethropter needs some welding done! :P

Also anyone have a Russian Tank girl Natalia they want to part with?
I'm thinking an all girl crew for the 'thropter.......

-Marty

Bexley

1. I (apparently) missed the part about not being delivered for a few weeks, and I had no other reason to think there would be a delay in getting it sent out.

2. My worry was not that it hadn't been sent, but that it had and had gotten lost in the mail, or that due to some software hiccup the order had not been received.

3. Given that I inquired from Marc how long it took to get his order, rather than a) ranting about how long it was taking, or b) emailing them a complaint, I feel I am giving the poor chap a chance.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack