• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Paper modelling

Started by Frederic Testard, March 01, 2010, 06:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frederic Testard

I thought this might interest you. I think this is not only an example of great modelling, but also a thought provoking subject.

http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=11054
Frederic Testard

Mr Potato Head

This is fantastic! Yes it makes you think, stop you're whining about I can't find the detail parts I looking for! Scratch build them! I love that its paper, but what I saw could be done in styrene just the same. I love the Tires, the tire rack, and the ease of which he built it, one step at a time. What scale is it? It looks larger than 1:24, but I saw that it was as long as his keyboard. Really doesn't matter though, it's a work of art. Thanks for the link.
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Frederic Testard

On page 3, the builder tells that the length of the truck is 35 cm (14"). It's not really an answer to the question since I don't know the length of the original but it gives a clue about the size of the model.
Well, in fact it's in the title : 1:25. Kit by a manufacturer from Poland named Renova, the last one in the page linked there : http://www.renova-model.com.pl/index.php?f=modele
Frederic Testard

Frederic Testard

And here is another thread about the building of the same kit, but with more building hints.
http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=4149
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

I regularly visit the Kartenbau website. Marc told me about it a couple of years ago. I have found some magnificent examples of fine modeling there in the Vehicles section. (The Architecture [structure] modeling is mediocre so don't waste your time.) I previously have posted examples from that site. The current thread I have been following is http://kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=21375. I urge all of you to check it out. It is a 1:25 scale narrow gauge locomotive.

As Gil suggests, the paper modelers, mostly from East Europe, use paper in the same way we use styrene. The advantage is that you may use a laser to design a kit for yourself from whatever paper works best.

Most commercial vehicle kits are 1:25 scale, whether military or railroad or industrial, and the more critical modelers sometimes mention that the quality of some paper parts falls short of excellent. Sometimes they scratchbuild new parts from different paper. The best modelers also often buy laser cut aftermarket parts (when available) to replace or augment those from the original kit they find of sub-standard quality or things missing altogether. A "kit", by the way, is simply a book whose pages are of varying weights of cardstock. The parts may or may not be laser cut or printed in color depending on the manufacturer. In all cases, painted models blow away those where the builder is satisfied with printed parts.

The results can equal anything you have seen in brass or plastic. I will post a few photos here if you want.

Russ

Frederic Testard

Please, post some, Russ.
When I read your comment, I remembered this link to paper built locomotives you had posted a moment ago. Very, very impressive.
I am seriously thinking about some O scale paper detailing for my current project.
Frederic Testard

Andi Little

Add a second request for pic's, ................ this stuff is simply sublime - marvellous. I just wish it was easier to read the text in order to glean techniques and tenets, the pic's are great but leave important questions unanswered.

At least to my tiny mind.
KBO..................... Andi.

DaKra

I often look at that website, too.  These paper modellers have made an art and science out of turning 2d shapes into 3d structures, which is always useful knowledge for model building and lasering.   Funny how the paper kit seems to be an Eastern European passion.   I guess in the years of not having access to good plastic kits, they made the most of an inexpensive medium.   Can't keep a good man down.

Dave

Ray Dunakin

I never cease to be amazed at the things being accomplished by skilled paper modelers! Truly impressive, and very informative to see how even the most complex shapes can be built up.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Here is what really attracted my attention to the 1:25 narrow gauge locomotive build for which I posted the link: The drivers. Look carefully at these laminated beauties -- paper soaked with CA and enhanced with putty. Then check out how they look after paint. Yes, the treads are painted! -- Russ

jacq01

QuoteThese paper modellers have made an art and science out of turning 2d shapes into 3d structures

Many of these models are built like the originals, formed from flat sheet or cast. He describes the construction of a cast pipe junction made from putty. The tread of the wheels is painted on with automotive body putty applied in one go while swinning the wheel by hand on a suitable size drill. He than sands and polish by hand with the wheel chucked in a dremel.  Just simple materials and handtools, I love it....... ;D ;D

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

DaKra

I formerly assembled all my paper parts with white glue, due to the extra time it allows for adjustment.  When I switched to slow curing CA I noticed the paper absorbs the excess glue so 1) glue smears disappear as if by magic, and 2) paper becomes extremely strong and 3) can be sanded and shaped without fuzz or delamination.  I think paper is seriously underutilized as a modelling medium by all but the paper kit guys.

Dave

finescalerr

So, Dave, how feasible would it be to laser cut a bunch of scratchbuilding items from paper from a marketing and profit standpoint? I'm thinking about doors, windows, brick walls (varying thickness bricks, probably with adhesive backing that would stick onto a subwall representing mortar), cement stuff like sidewalks or structure materials, even parts for vehicles (cars, boats, rolling stock, locos)?

Considering the rapidly declining hobby market, topnotch paper items conceivably could replace some plastic counterparts and certainly could compete with many wood parts. And, by paper, I include that resin paper you have referred to.

Russ

Frederic Testard

It would be great.
A technical question about the laser cutting process : would it be easy, when the drawings are made, to change the scale of the provided items and have the laser cutter do the work in the new scale?
Frederic Testard

DaKra

Hi Russ

Marketing and profit... hm... I admit ... not really subjects I've got a lot of expertise in and I'm well out of the main stream of this hobby in most respects.   So I can't comment in any meaningful way.  I could make some sarcastic observations though!  ;D 

I choose my subject matter out of personal interest or a particular modelbuilding need.  I really enjoy designing scratchbuilding accessories and I've been adding them slowly to my little assortment of things, like the cardstock letters and fire escapes.   Not getting rich but I thrive on the feedback.   

Re: cardstock windows and doors, these are available from some of the other laserers, and of course there are the Tichy and Grandt line products in plastic.  All are fine products, I see no need to add to the selection of what is already available.   

I'd be interested in suggestions though. I like your idea about separate sticky bricks.  And I do have plans for my HO  brick wall designs and a few other new things which I will post as I develop the prototypes.

Hi Frederick

Changing scales is very easy in theory.  The graphic is scaled up or down by a certain percent to achieve the new scale.

In practice, its not always so simple.   This is because some things stay constant, like kerf (width of laser beam) and material thickness.  So a perfect O scale window might just end up as a burned out frame in HO unless things are adjusted.   Or a nice HO window would have thick parts in O.  Or a kit with tab and slot connections is a problem because the slots in the graphic are for a particular material thickness, and will need to be sized independently of the rest of the graphic.  Generally speaking, its much easier to go from small to large.

Sorry I don't seem to have simple answers this time!

Dave