• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Paper modelling

Started by Frederic Testard, March 01, 2010, 06:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Aside from the Crystal River Strathmore doors and windows, I am unaware of any other seperately available items of top quality, at least in 1:48. As for the styrene products, Crystal River's blow them away because the dimensions are so much more accurate and, of course, because they are built up and that makes painting so much easier. Grandt's dies are wearing out and it is my understanding that, as they go, there are no plans to replace them.

It seems a wide assortment of laser cut paper products could help to revolutionize scratchbuilding. Nobody will get rich from selling them but someday they may make up the highest quality assortment of details ... assuming one or more guys take the plunge.

Russ

TRAINS1941

Unc

Rusty Stumps Scale Models now makes O-Scale windows and doors in paper.  I have never used them but I think Young Martin Jones may have at one time.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

jacq01

as Crystal Rivers was not able to supply me with the windows needed in short time, I used Rusty Stumps windows.
  Very well done and a very good price. I have used the non reinforced paper ones. After a coat of Humbrol primer, they are painted with Vallejo colours.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Andi Little

Thought you may be curious enough to see these? - all from paper - and a bit of thick paper - and a little bit of thin balsa.................. but pretty much mainly from paper.

Santo's Restaurant slash Coffee shop................ 1/24th, Gn15 or 1mm=1inch.....Take your pick, not deadly accurate I know but my child's eye is more than happy with the scaling. And I know they don't compare to what's to be seen elsewhere on these here pages, but these have to be robust enough to be "played" with, and they're really just distant backdrops for a little Gn15 layout I'm trying to build one day!!!!!

Oh Dear......... now it appears I've just posted those in order to make excuses for them??? Sorry about that - just trying to join in a bit!!?
KBO..................... Andi.

DaKra

Beautiful work, some of the best brick I've seen in that scale.   No excuses necessary.  Please show more!

Dave

Ray Dunakin

That drive wheel looks fantastic!

Andi, I love your building! Excellent work. I'm especially curious about the curtains in the main window. How did you make those?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Andi, I think you have convinced me to build with individual paper bricks rather than embossed sheets. Also, I am very pleased that you and a few others have tried building with paper and obtained such good results. There is something very satisfying about transforming a basic material available virtually anywhere into something that looks as though it were made of something else altogether.

Maybe I should start a modeling challenge: Build a (simple) model from paper. The only guy I know who would balk is Marty. He built a pretty nice structure flat but just didn't feel comfortable with the medium.

Russ

Frederic Testard

Good idea, Russ. And if Marty grumbles against it, it will increase the others' chances to win (nothing... - I add it before you ask : what?).
Andi, this is a great looking building. Sometimes I even consider the possibility to insert some brick buildings into my all wood modelling when I see all this fine work.

Frederic Testard

Belg

Guys, here is a link to a USA based paper model maker who is giving away a pretty nice model in either HO or O scale for download well worth a look. Clever models is the name of the company. Pat

http://kitforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3588

RoughboyModelworks

Andi: Wonderful building front. Didn't you have an SBS on this project on one of the other forums? Perhaps you could republish it here. I expect there are many here who would value seeing it.

Russ:

That paper driver is outrageous. You say the tread is painted. Do you have any sense what he used for that purpose?

Paul

DaKra

I think those pre-printed paper models with the fancy texture graphics are a lousy half measure and steer a serious model in the wrong direction.  The typical North American mindset with these paper models is they can be slammed together and plopped onto a layout big, cheap and fast.  Usually when any criticism is offered, they are "fine for background model if you don't look too closely".     :-\

The best paper models utilize paper as a structural medium in the same way that wood and styrene are used in conventional modeling, to form a 3 dimensional structure that is then painted and weathered.    Like Andi's beautiful model.  That's paper at its best.

Dave

narrowgauger

thought I would show another example of a 48th scale model where the buildings are 90% paper.

enjoy

Bernard

finescalerr

Paul, here's a rough translation of the paint he uses: "I use Ă–lemail from Humbrol, or (increasingly frequently) Model Master. I do not use acrylic paints because I somehow do not like."

I have used ModelMaster and assume you have. They have a "Metalizer" series that you apply, let dry, buff, then spray with a clear coat. It's very good and I think part of the reason he got such an outstanding finish.

Bernard, did you build the lighthouse?

Russ

narrowgauger

Hi Russ,

yes I built the model from scratch, with the objective of securing a major award.  I was fortunate to win Best in Show at the Australian Narrow Gauge Convention.

the model is fully detailed with a complete interior, including an office and a complete workshop & lighting.  the purpose of the building is the servicing of the channel markers, some of which you can see on the deck, therefore a complete "workshop" is incorporated into the interior.

the tower is also completely detailed with all framing exposed, a sprial staircase with 180 brass treads.  The lantarn Cupola is build from brass with a copper dome.  A complete mirror assembly is located at the light level into which a discharge lamp has been fitted.

water is plaster painted with oils, and the "beach" formed with very fine sand & natural stones for "boulders"  Since this is "Seal Point Lighthouse" there are a couple of seals on the rocks.  By the way the dinghies are also scratchbuilt from paper.

Have fun

Bernard

marc_reusser

Really great thread. and some beutiful work by you guys that posted their builds. Bernard, I would love to see more pics of the details on this build.

Dave.....how about laser cutting from paper all the individual exterior and interior steel plates, "L" & "T" beams for the pontoons on a 1/35 Whippet  ;) ;D ;D ;D.......the same parts for a MK-V would be equally great. ;D

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works