• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Paper modelling

Started by Frederic Testard, March 01, 2010, 06:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

My guess is that your timing will be premature, Dave. If the quality of your mini-kits is terrific, some people will buy them but most probably will ignore them. In five or ten years, though, it is possible that some plastic or even resin stuff will disappear and create a vacuum for card. The price of wood kits has been rising and someday card may become preferable, if for no other reason than cost.

If you expect little or nothing in return for your efforts for a few years, eventually you may find yourself a "pioneer" in the cardstock field like Grandt was in plastic details. One never knows, do one?

Russ

DaKra

Hi Russ

OK I'm looking forward to that time in ten years when Craftsmen are Craftsmen again.  :D   Meanwhile I'm small enough to thrive on a very small market niche.  I'll leave the mainstream to Bar Mills and the rest.

Dave

finescalerr

Please let us know what you produce. If possible, make it available in 1:87 and 1:48.

Incidentally, I saw either an ad or a description of your New York brick building kit in that online model railroading publication. Considering the high quality of your products, you might consider a small ad in my books if you have a little extra in your budget. Or at least let's figure out a way to give you a little banner ad or something on this forum. Remember, there are thousands of lurkers here, all interested in modeling yet few aware of your product line.

Russ

DaKra

Hi Russ

Your offer is very thoughtful, thank you!  At the moment I don't have enough to offer to make advertising worthwhile.  Maybe later this year I will think more about an advert. 

When I have demo versions of the all cardstock kits done, I'll show them here.   

Dave

DaKra

Preview photo of my first laser cut all-paper mini kit in HO scale.     

More later.

Dave

marc_reusser

Whoa!...Very Cool. Crikey, that's small! Builds up clean.

Just out of curiosity, can you give me a rundown of the various thicknesses of the impregnated papers and other such stuff that are available/you use.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Holy moly! That's amazing!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I know you are good but that's over the top! And thank you for pioneering a great product in a "novel" material. -- Russ

Frederic Testard

I love it too, Dave. Do you have plans to offer the music instruments visible on your web site?
Frederic Testard

lab-dad

Thats beautiful!
Any plans for O scale furniture?
-Marty

gin sot

I like that office suite.  I would buy one.

DaKra

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.   When I have a  few more sets designed and the instructions written and illustrated, I will put them online for sale.  In keeping with the whole "mini" concept, they will be inexpensive.   

Marc

The card material I use is about .015".   Its very strong, and can be doubled up for thickness if the part isn't too fiddly.   For example, you can see the seam in the chair seat where two pieces are sandwhiched.   The other standard thicknesses I work with are .008" paper (flimsy but great for surface details like hinges) and .03" micro plywood.     

Frederic

The antique piano on my website is too complicated and the wrong era for an HO kit, but I have an idea for a player piano you might find in a saloon, and maybe some other string instruments.

Marty

O scale is a possibility for the future.   I need to source thicker material or adapt the designs to the scale.

Dave

clevermod01

I'm a bit surprised that it's easier to go from small to large. It's the opposite for our kits. we make them in O and scale everything back from there.
Many of the items mentioned in this thread are things we have created but not laser cut. If any one wants to partner up on a product, lets talk.
As Dave said and I concur none of us are getting rich doing this. It's not a trivial thing to create something new. there needs to be market demand and support.

clevermod01

We put up a formerly retired kit for free download for the holidays. It will be available until Dec 26th. It's our rail maintenance shed in O and HO scale. It was very popular and i think you'll enjoy it. Go to the freebies section of our web page.
Enjoy and have a happy holiday.

Thom & Dave
Clever models

finescalerr

If any of you guys is interested in entering a model in the Challenge for the December 2011 Modelers' Annual and you don't want to scratchbuild, Thom's freebie might be a good starting point. Suggestion: Print a couple of copies on a textured paper from Michaels Craft Stores or an art store. Use something like sketch paper with a slightly pebbled surface for more weathered wood; Strathmore Bristol Vellum for newer paint. Cut it into individual boards and assemble it board by board as though it were wood. Check out his texture sheets while you're there. -- Russ