• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

"Cubierto" 0n30

Started by lucas gargoloff, March 20, 2010, 05:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucas gargoloff

Since a long time!! I have no much time for the hobbie, but last week had a little extra time... so let´s show what I did...
This is a box car (called cubierto here), from La Trochita, the glorious Old Patagonian Express. I made it from styrene with many fittings from Grandt Line, couplers are from San Juan. Here´s a pic of the prototype, the model in procces and how it looks today, still needs lettering and light weathering.
Hope you like it!

Lucas Gargoloff - Argentina

lab-dad

Welcome back!
Nice to see you modeling again!
Very nice model, I look forward to seeing it finished!
-Marty

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

SDwn

Nice looking model Lucas. I was curious on how you painted the trucks. Do you mask off the unpainted areas or scrape the paint off from the wheel/ flange? I am always looking for an easier way to paint them. Thanks  Sean

lucas gargoloff

Thanks for the replies guys!
Sean: I painted the trucks and wheels separately, then when paint was dried, I mount again wheels on trucks and roll them over a rag dipped in thinner, easy way to remove paint from flanges.

SDwn

Thanks Lucas, I will have to give that a try.  Sean

lab-dad

Sean,
I made a jig with 4 holes in it the size of the wheels and the thickness about 1" by 3" - 2 pc.
Place the wheels in the jig and rubber band the two plates.
Paint away!
-Marty

marc_reusser

Neat project and subject Lucas. Thanks for posting. Look forward to your progress.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lucas gargoloff

Thanks Marc!
Lettering is completed as seen on the prototype. Started in weathering too.

lucas gargoloff

Now, I can say the "Cubierto" is finished in 99%, maybe some adds after your comments, why not? Weathering is done with Bragdon Powders mixed with MicroSet.

And some closeups from the underbody...

Thanks for watching!

Tom Neeson

Nice model there Lucas. What couplers are you using?

Tom
No Scribed Siding!

lucas gargoloff

Thanks Tom, couplers are San Juan 0n3 Evolution.

marc_reusser

Looks good, but you are missing the wood stringers/beams that were used to hold down the currugated metal roofing at the outer ends. This was common/typical practice on corrugated roofs, and you look closely, you can see them in the prototype photo.

Sorry, the only image/example I could quickly find. Note the stringers/beams on the roof towards the car sides.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lucas gargoloff

Yes Sir!!! you´re right!! How could I forgot this?? So, thanks for note that, will work on this next weekend.
Thanks again!

lab-dad

Looking really god, nice to see you back!
You swing in and out like a pendulum!
The only comment I can make is the "rust" seems too monochromatic to me.
Some darker/other colors should be present.
And may be some wear on the grab irons (done with a graphite pencil)
-Marty