• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The color of steel

Started by Frederic Testard, April 03, 2010, 03:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frederic Testard

Thank you, Gary. I'll try this which seems quite easy to do.
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

"You could easily make your own version of Neolube. Sand a graphite pencil or better yet an artist's graphite stick to get powdered graphite then mix it with some alcohol."

Please report back on this and explain any tricks or quirks to be aware of. For example what is the best proportion of alcohol to graphite? Why not apply it with a brush? Is there a way to create a lighter shade? It is such a simple trick that could have many uses and modifications.

Russ

RoughboyModelworks

Yes, I would like to hear more about this too as I suspect it's not as simple as it sounds. For one thing Neolube is not just graphite in alcohol. It is colloidal pure furnace graphite in a mixture of isopropanol and thermoplastic resin. The thermoplastic resin is used as a binder, producing the film layer after the isopropanol evaporates. Secondly the larger graphite particles are 4 microns in size. I think you would be hard-pressed to produce pure graphite particles fine enough and of consistent size by rubbing a pencil on a piece of sandpaper. Commercial Neolube can be applied by brush or spray-gun. I've used it quite successfully in both detail guns and air-brushes.

Paul

searoom

Hey guys this is not rocket science. Take a piece of sandpaper, take a pencil(or graphite stick) rub the pencil tip on the sandpaper to make graphite powder. Get a nice little paint brush  and dip the bristles in some alcohol. Now, put the wet bristle in the graphite powder. Use this mix on the area to be metalized. When the alcohol dries burnish the area with your finger. A simple test will take you 2 minutes tops. Less time than it took to write this post.

jacq01

Searoom,

you forget you are on a FINESCALE forum, where they apply difficult to grasp techniques and materials  ;) ;D ;D

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Jacq, truth often is unkind. Go stand in the corner. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

The corner was deleted by Google.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

RoughboyModelworks

Ohhhh.... well that explains the draft.

Paul

marc_reusser

Quote from: Roughboy on April 14, 2010, 02:59:40 PM
Ohhhh.... well that explains the draft.

Paul

If you put your pants back on you wont feel it so much.

......off to look for the missing corner.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Sorry, the word "corner" is against the rules. You are banned for life.

Cordially,

Your Friends At Google

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 14, 2010, 11:04:20 PM
If you put your pants back on you wont feel it so much.
Marc
Well, I was hoping you'd notice...

Paul (move over, you're hogging the imaginary corner...)

k27rgs

i need another lifetime to try all these great ideas.  thanks for the info.  Mario

jacq01

QuoteHey guys this is not rocket science

well I would not vote for that. To make it more complicated:

http://www.sisweb.com/referenc/msds/neolube1.pdf
http://www.sisweb.com/referenc/msds/neolube2.pdf

Micromark sells Neolube 2  maybe the canadian firm Neolube 1 for the $1100 mentioned ??

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.