• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New Painting DVD from Mig Jimenez & Vallejo

Started by marc_reusser, April 05, 2010, 01:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Quote from: Craig_H on July 23, 2010, 06:08:25 PM
Still not for sale in the USA yet :(  been for sale across the pond for months.....screw-em.... if there not in a hurry to get it in the US market then...... ill keep my us dollars in my pocket ;) dont need it ........Craig

As fine a display of petulance you'll ever see . Nice one , Craig .

Nick

Malachi Constant

Pleasant surprise ... in theory the DVD is "PAL format" and US viewers need to use the DVD players on their computer to view it.  But, I decided to try it on a couple of household DVD players anyway ... and it worked perfectly on both ... one is a Memorex, the other a cheapy no-name job.  Neither is any sort of fancy "region free" or other specialty player.

Just completed the first view and found myself saying "wow" or "ah-ha" a lot ... plenty to learn, try and practice.

On a bizarre note, there's a chapter near the end that reviews all the materials used and ... I kid you not ... there's a bit of trip-hop (or maybe "electronica", how do I know?) music using bits of Mig's narration, typical trippy music stuff and ... well, I think I heard an acordion in there.   ???  A bit odd ... think I would have preferred some Hawkwind, Wishbone Ash or Dead Can Dance if we have to go fairly modern on that bit ... but nevertheless somehow amusing.  (And the background music throughout the rest of the video is low-level and quite subtle.)

So, feel like I've gotten a bargain here ... even though I had to get into my cyberspace shuttle, journey beyond the provincial bounadries and import it myself!  :P
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Malachi Constant

For those woefully confined to the provincial US boundaries, the video is starting to show up within the borders now ... for example:

http://www.michtoy.com/item-VMC-75000-AFV_Acrylic_Techniques_by_Mig_Jimenez__DVD_Video.html

Actually worked out a little cheaper importing mine from the UK, but that did require some "dare devil" intercontinental travel via cyberspace.  :D

Cheers,
Dallas

Mr Potato Head

dare devil" intercontinental travel via cyberspace. 

Who da thunk: that some day crossing the street, was a lot safer than entering cyberspace??????
Good luck I hope you make it back safely to the US?
Gil
in peacefull, very safe, Star, Idaho
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

Quote from: Malachi Constant on August 11, 2010, 07:51:14 AM
For those woefully confined to the provincial US boundaries, the video is starting to show up within the borders now ... for example:

http://www.michtoy.com/item-VMC-75000-AFV_Acrylic_Techniques_by_Mig_Jimenez__DVD_Video.html

Actually worked out a little cheaper importing mine from the UK, but that did require some "dare devil" intercontinental travel via cyberspace.  :D

Cheers,
Dallas

ah.....I guess we'll need to start calling you Buckaroo Banzai.

I had the same result with cost orderind it from AK products in Spain....I ordere several of their products along with it, for the same shipp cost as the video only. So it was mot bad at all....at least no worse than buying it local.

FWIW....there is another Mig video out...this one deals with weathering with oil paints.  It's also available through AK, .....and there a few smll quick general SBS write-ups on the site to five yo an idea of what is probably in it. 

there are numerous videos on You-Tube of mig doing demos at shows.....unfortunately my Spanish is not quite good enough to catch much of what he is saying.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Geez, Marc, you really gotta work on your typing skills!  (yeah, I know ... yer probably typing it while riding your bike or something)  ;)

In case anyone wonders, the acrylics DVD is all narrated in ENGLISH by Mig ... he has a Spanish accent, of course, but I didn't find that distracting or difficult to understand at all.  And, there are Spanish subtitles, for those wanting to learn how to describe the techniques in Spanish.

Cheers,
Buckaroo