• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:24 scale MacDonnald Model O 5- ton truck.

Started by Scratchman, April 17, 2010, 02:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

This is my 1:24 scale MacDonald Model O, 5-Ton Low-Bed Truck. The plans are in the January-February 1991 Gazette.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Tom Neeson

Beautiful work Gordon!

Man, that's some tiny rail...

Tom
No Scribed Siding!

Frederic Testard

Wonderful work, Gordon.
Could we by chance have more information about the load in the first shot of the second post?
Frederic Testard

gnichols

Very nice build.  How long does something like that take you?  - its way past my patience level!  And... do you have more photos of the layout / diorama seen in your photos?  Thanx, Gary

JohnP

The Scratchman Machine was tuned up well for this one- feed the plans in and look at the model!

Since coming along to this forum and getting all the books I am always amazed at your ability to make a believable model. I think your finishes are subtle for the most part but firmly anchored in reality.  That makes the models easy to accept as a whole. Another item is the scale thickness of the cross-sections. There is nothing to trip the eye up as it passes over the model details. And we don't really know if the rivets or bolts are to the prototype but they always look mechanically plausible.

Gordon, when faced with less than optimal data on a model (like that little steamer in the pair you did recently) how do you figure the unknowns? Do you plan ahead on CAD or is there a Scratchman boneyard we don't get to see?

Another beautiful model to look at, thanks.

John
John Palecki

Scratchman

Frederic... it's a two foot gauge coal car I found in a mining museum in Helper Utah. I took measurements and drew up a set of plans. I went back last year to take some photos and it was gone. I think the prototype came from the Bull Hollow Tram Road, whose two small shays hauled them from coal mine to tipple. 

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

finescalerr

Gordon, you are that rare combination of craftsman and artist. -- Russ

chester

Frederic Testard

I agree too on Russ' and Chester's comment.
Gordon, thanks for the answer about the load. These cars look very nice too.
Frederic Testard