• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Cutting openings in brass?

Started by Ray Dunakin, April 25, 2010, 09:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

How do you cut openings in sheet brass without bending or distorting it? For instance, to make windows?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

james_coldicott

Hi Ray,

that would depend somewhat on the thickness of the brass. For thinner sheets I have had good success with a scribing hook- an idea stolen from some notes on working metal by Colin Binnie- link here...

http://home.iae.nl/users/summer/16mmngm/Articles_htms/ColinBinnie/CBWJ.htm

for thicker material I usually end up with a combination of drilling, fine fretsawing between the holes and filing to finish. One day, if I'm lucky, I'll get a pantograph milling machine which would speed things up considerably but that is another story.

No doubt others here with more skills and experience than me will have some suggestions too...

Good luck

James

gnichols

Depends on the size of the opening and thickness of the metal.  Drill a hole.  Or drill two holes and cut out the material between them.  Or three holes, etc.  In the non-wise guy department, my favorite tool for this is the jewler's saw, but a dremel with a cut-off disc is often the trick - especially when modifying assembled models.  Finsh with fine files.  Gary

jacq01

James,

thanks for Colin Binnie  reference, I had lost it.....
  I love these simple methodes. ;D ;D ;D

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Noel Crawford

For very thin brass sheet (0.15 to 0.25) I sandwich between two thing pieces of wood or strudy card. The fret saw. Works very well.
  For thicker pieces I do the same the cut out on a scroll or jig saw. Beats doing it by hand.
Noel         

DaKra

You can also etch them out, if its thin material.   Basically you mask the material you want to keep, and leave the parts you want to disappear exposed.   Then mask the entire back side.  Manually (as opposed to photochemically) masking brass for etching is real easy. You can use paint, scotch tape or even a sharpie marker.    Then place it face down in a glass or plastic container of ferric chloride, check it for progress every 15 minutes or so.  When its done, rinse with water to stop the acid.   Sometimes you'll have a little flash, this can be easily cleaned off with a file.   

Dave

chester

Great tip Dave, never thought of that. One could mask both sides of the sheet and dip the whole piece as well I would assume.

DaKra

Yes, mask both sides, but put the piece in face down.   Experiment first on scrap to get an idea of how much time the process takes, and how well your masking material is working.     Also clean the brass first, scrub with steel wool should do it.

marc_reusser

Ferric-Chloride (PCB etchtant) etches brass????.....how cool....learn someting new every day!.
Maybe I can use this on the rusty boat dio.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

DaKra

Yup, and they sell it at Radio Shack, or once upon a time.   It does rust metal, keep your tools away when you are using this stuff. 

JohnP

Micro-Mark has ferric chloride also.

Be aware it is a poison, puts out fumes and is bad to get on the skin. Wear heavy rubber gloves. It also stains severely so whatever it gets on (sink, pants, buckets) will have brown stains.

It does work like magic. I have the little Micro-Mark etch kit that has everything you need to make even more elaborate etchings.

RS used to have dry transfer circuit traces that could be used for window muntins etc. But this random link:http://www.riccibitti.com/pcb/pcb.htm shows a neat and cheap way to make a etch resist pattern with a laser printer and magazine paper of all things. You could go straight from a Sketch Up drawing to an etched window in no time.

John
John Palecki

DaKra

Cool article, printed it out for testing. Thanks John!

JohnP

Let us all know how it works out.

Etching through a thin material with a one sided pattern is not too difficult. The etchant must be kept circulating the entire time. If it is a simple home-made setup, rock the container from start to stop to keep from over etching any area before the rest is complete.

There is another aspect to designing the pattern if precision is needed. They call it the Etch Factor. We can discuss it if anyone wants to hear the tale.

John
John Palecki

lab-dad

Doing so much in brass I would love to learn more.
I think I could do a lot of neat stuff if I could learn basic CAD and etching.......
-Marty

JohnP

Marty,
Laying out an etch pattern only requires simple 2D software with the ability to fill in areas with hatch. If you are going etch it yourself, solid areas are needed. Most professional etchers use an inkjet type of printing that will print a hatch pattern in very fine (.005") lines.

The etch factor is a compensation you have to add to a pattern to account for the material being etched from the side as well as the top and/or bottom surfaces. It will etch in a bit and you will end up with smaller than expected parts and bigger holes. So add a small amount to dimensions for a perfect fit.

A 3D CAD is needed if you want to virtually fit your design together before sending it out. Of course, messing up a simple home project means you've just wasted time and materials.

I developed and sold a 1/87 brass truss bridge kit for a while. I designed it and then rechecked everything, but didn't get to finishing the virtual assembly until after I placed the order. Crazy thing to do at the time but it all worked out though.

If you have the urge etch brass try it, it is a fun project almost like developing your own photos. Ask questions here or email me-- john <at> jpstructures <dot> com.

John

John Palecki