• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A cab-forward GN15 Porter... am I nuts?

Started by gnichols, April 26, 2010, 04:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnichols

Gang,
I just got this hair-brained idea, but I think it's workable with a little help. I have this Bman 0-4-2 Porter and since the cab will have to be raised, widened and extended a little for Gn15, I'm getting a little worried that the rear overhang will be too much for reliable coupling on really tight radii (6-8in) curves. Perhaps not, but...

Wondering what to do, my first bash idea was to turn the loco into an enclosed steam "dummy." Then I says to myself, why not run it "backwards" to mitigate the coupler problem and make it the world's smallest CAB FORWARD porter! How's that for crazy?

Regardless of how the forward cab turns out, I plan on a swivel seat of some type so the engineer (one man crew on this little puppy) can either look down the boiler normally if running in that direction (pushing the cars), or swivel the seat 90 degrees (like a side saddle gas mech) to look out the cab end.

Sound too goofy? I think my biggest problem will be to figure out how to relocate or modify the basic controls / levers so they can be operated from either of the seat positions and the firebox door will not get in the way.
Any and all suggestions deeply appreciated. Thanx, Gary

Ray Dunakin

Well, there were a lot of small locos that were designed to run in either direction, usually for use on interurban lines.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Somehwere I have even seen pics of something like this...but can't remember where. I know that there were a number of European schmallspur lines and inter-urban/trolly type lines there that ran really odd/cool stuff like this....think there might even have been a cog RR that had something of this ilk.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Younger

How about this one?
-Younger
-Younger

gnichols

Neat... thanx for sharing... copying into the Gn15 loco folder. Gary

Forgot to say I really like that combine / observation car, too!