• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale auto repair shop

Started by Malachi Constant, May 15, 2010, 08:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BKLN

Very nice! But in that "giant" scale you should be able to make this thing moving!  ;D ;D  ;)

Edit: I saw in another forum that you were concerned about bending the propellers into shape. It's obviously too late now, but the lazerboard stuff can be bent by carefully soaking it in water and taping it around a support shape until its dry.

DaKra

Kool, I like it!   Nice color too, looks like the baked on metallic paint used on old industrial appliances. 

Christian is right about wet-bending Laserboard.  Works well and maintains its shape when dry.         

Dave

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Junior on February 07, 2011, 02:43:15 AM
Nice job again Dallas! Just a thought......1/87 scale? The outlets I have from DaKra but this... Hm.... ??? ???

Anders ;D

Here's a thought:  You can buy 36 gauge single-strand electrical wire.  It would be a heckuva job to drill a small enough hole in a small enough bit of styrene, etc, to shape the end of a power cord effectively ... but ... you could drill a tiny hole in the face of the outlet, glue the wire in place, then shape a tiny blob of putty where the wire and outlet meet to make the "plug".

Christian & Dave -- Ah-ha!  Guess I got lucky with my efforts to bend the fan blades ... THANKS for the wet-bending tip, that will keep me from destroying other parts in the future!  ;D

Below is the grille for the second fan, which will be used as a portable job on the floor of the shop.  Grill was narrowed; letters are from Royal Models etched alphabet set (small) applied with Vallejo mat varnish.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Junior

Great looking fan grille Dallas! First thing tomorrow - plugs! Your´e a genious.......... :o

Anders ;D

Frederic Testard

This grille is fabulous, Dallas. I don't know if you or Dave, and probably both, must be congratulated for this, but it is gorgeous for sure!
Frederic Testard

Malachi Constant

Thanks Anders -- Look forward to your results.  If I get possessed to make a set of rubber-nipple spark plug wires to lay around somewhere, I'll use a similar approach.  (Yes, I did use the phrase "rubber nipple" just to send Russ into a tizzy!)  :P

Frederic -- I've had another look at Dave's latest HO offerings (well worth a visit to his website!), and they're quite inspiring.  He's providing a lot of neat stuff ... some of it is "just right" as it comes from the lazer ... then there are all the little bits like the nuts, bolts, gears, etc that make great add-ons.  Really appreciate his willingness to make custom items and his constant efforts to push forward in creative new ways.  (And, I think he'll be glad to see that I used photo-etched letters instead of asking him to laser cut those for this particular use!)  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas

Ray Dunakin

Holy cow, that fan (and the second, fancier grill) look great!!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Prognosis: Severe case of detailitus. Appears to be accelerating rapidly.

Only promising treatment: staring at this painting for 2 weeks straight:  http://www.sfmoma.org/artwork/25855

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Junior

Quote from: Malachi Constant on February 07, 2011, 12:43:30 PM
Quote from: Junior on February 07, 2011, 02:43:15 AM
Nice job again Dallas! Just a thought......1/87 scale? The outlets I have from DaKra but this... Hm.... ??? ???

Anders ;D

Here's a thought:  You can buy 36 gauge single-strand electrical wire.  It would be a heckuva job to drill a small enough hole in a small enough bit of styrene, etc, to shape the end of a power cord effectively ... but ... you could drill a tiny hole in the face of the outlet, glue the wire in place, then shape a tiny blob of putty where the wire and outlet meet to make the "plug".

Christian & Dave -- Ah-ha!  Guess I got lucky with my efforts to bend the fan blades ... THANKS for the wet-bending tip, that will keep me from destroying other parts in the future!  ;D

Below is the grille for the second fan, which will be used as a portable job on the floor of the shop.  Grill was narrowed; letters are from Royal Models etched alphabet set (small) applied with Vallejo mat varnish.

Cheers,
Dallas
Broke my last no. 80 drill bit on the third plug. Stay tuned!

Anders :-[ :-[ :-[

Malachi Constant

Oh, Anders, I hate it when that happens!  But a #79 would probably be close enough?

Make sure the bit is STRAIGHT in the pin-vise ... make sure you're holding it straight, applying LIGHT pressure and NO lateral (sideways) pressure ... AND ... bonus points here ... touch the tip to some thick liquid hand soap before drilling ... drill a little, clean the bit, soap again ...

Thanks Chuck!  I was staring at the Kandinsky paintings and getting too much "action" ... the white painting is much better!

-- Dallas

Chuck Doan

A double sided Kandinski?

BTW, great info on your topics. Thanks for taking the time to put them together.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

That three panel white painting is pure genius. I thought contemporary "music" lacked substance; contemporary "art" extends that to less than zero. -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Hmm ... fourth try, and I think this is about as close as I'm gonna get ...

Plan to have the second fan sitting on the floor somewhere against the wall with the cord wrapped around it, so I had to make one of these little plugs ... cuz having the plug "offstage" behind the fan would just be too easy!

Cheers,
Dallas

DaKra

The nice thing about civilian modeling, maybe also the difficult thing, is how everyone can immediately recognize the details.  Military modeling requires specialized knowledge of the subject matter, but everyone knows an electrical appliance requires a plug.   I think the kick for the viewer is in the instant recognition of something familiar which you don't expect to find in miniature.  Like the plug on the end of the cable.  Nice job as usual, Dallas.

Junior

Couldn´t be better in my opinion. Excellent Dallas!

Anders ;D