• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale auto repair shop

Started by Malachi Constant, May 15, 2010, 08:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior

Dallas, brass star or not it´s great looking. I made up a somewhat less elaborate fan in 1/87 scale that I will refer to as a handmade Krakow prototype. ;) Excellent work and info. as usual.

Anders ;D

Malachi Constant

Anders -- Sounds interesting!  I hope you'll post some photos of the new (little) fan.

Meanwhile, I decided on a tiny blue dot placed over the center of the fan grille ... got that painted and placed and wrapped the cord around the fan ... which turned out to be a lot trickier than expected and resulted in a number of paint abrasions and such.  So, I'll have to do some touch-ups and refinishing before posting the final pix on that.  Then it's on to some more crazy details. 

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Junior

Dallas.....Sounds great with the cord and new crazy details ::) ::)  By now I have made to Krakow prototypes - will post together with other new pics. at my thread within a couple of days.

Anders ;D

Malachi Constant

Assembled a few pieces from the Verlinden Workshop Tools & Equipment set.  Almost "stock" assembly with a few small modifications / added pieces.  The set doesn't include any instructions or diagrams ...  >:( ??? ::) ... so I've posted a fairly detailed set of assembly notes and photos for these piece in my Railroad Line thread here:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29357&whichpage=37

Meanwhile, appears that Mr. Mudgeon has caught the "hobby bug" after watching me assemble these little doohickeys. Guess he's eager to get to work ... goofing off!  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas

eTraxx

Can't wait to see the box opened and all the 'bits' laid out .. wait .. is that a plastic kit or .. balsa and tissue? :/
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

BKLN

Yeah, well Dallas. You certainly set yourself up for trouble with this one.  :D Can't wait to see that kit.

And I am not sure about how Millie will react to the new hobby.

Junior

Hah....hope he has a better glue this time. That dog fell apart.................  ???

Anders ;D

Malachi Constant

That seems reasonable.  Let's see, a 1/35 scale dude wants to build a 1/20 scale airplane ... guess that means Mr. Narrator is going to have to locate a little 1/700 scale kit.  No problem!

Fortunately, there's a whole "micro" niche in the scale hobby devoted to building little ships (including aircraft carriers!) in 1/700 scale.  Found this neat kit from Admiralty Model Works:
http://www.admiraltymodelworks.com/index.php/vmchk/1/700th-Scale-Accessories/WWI-RNAS-Biplanes/flypage_new.tpl.html

Kit sells for $18.00 and builds two each of the Sopwith Camel, Strutter and Pup.  Well, actually, I figure we'll be lucky if we can build one each with just one complete set of spare parts.  BTW, had some difficulty ordering on the company's web site ... sent an email, got a quick reply and received the order a few days later.  We'll start with the Sopwith Strutter, since that's the "largest" plane in the set!  8)

Did as much clean-up as possible before removing the fuselage from the sprue, then used the back of a knife blade to gently scrape alongside the fuselage to remove it from the sprue -- very light touch, over and over until separated.  To sand the tail wings, I held the part with tweezers very close to the area to avoid breakage and sanded with a very, very light touch and very fine sanding stick.

I think he "might" be fibbing a little about the balsa-and-paper construction of the fuselage!  ;)

Any lunatic can weave a basket!  This is for the truly crazy people.  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas

eTraxx

Dallas .. man .. you are totally insane (in a good way)
Ed Traxler

BKLN

Man, this is great morning entertainment. Who wants to read the news if you can start you day with this?

Very funny!

Junior

Insane is the word :o :o :o....will definitely use Chuck´s trick with the coin. Awesome work Dallas!

Anders ;D

eTraxx

*meh* .. what's the big deal anyhoo? :)

Ed Traxler

Mobilgas

Craig

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

DaKra

Haha, miniature-miniatures.  Just don't build a model of the garage for inside the garage, because it will need another model inside of that, and you'll get caught in an endless loop of ever smaller models.  

The airplane model is a neat idea, sometimes you'd see a stick and tissue model hanging in an odd location like a gas station office.  Not so much anymore.   There was a bar near here with a big cardboard cut out B-17 that hung in the window since WW2.  A couple of years ago, I drove past, the bar was still there but the model was gone.  End of an era.   :-\

Dave