• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale auto repair shop

Started by Malachi Constant, May 15, 2010, 08:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bexley

You will also need scale mustard. No cheating with paint!
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Malachi Constant

Hmm ... scale mustard, eh?  I was thinking of these as hard pretzels (no mustard) ... but if they turn out to be soft pretzels (must have mustard), then we'll have to figure that out.  :)

On the RR Line forum, Frederic mentioned that this project is starting to remind him of Zeno's paradox of Achileus and the tortoise.  ;)

Well the goal here was to get one good apple to sit on a shelf behind the workbench, and I think that should work out ... maybe even a couple others to use elsewhere.  Some have better shapes/size than others, etc., so I'll pick thru them later and select which one(s) to use.

This is the first time I've painted fruit of any size or type.  Pretty pleased with these, but wide open to any/all thoughts, comments, criticism, etc.  Have some photos and notes on the painting process, so if they look okay to you guys and/or anyone is interested, I can post some of that info later.

Cheers,
Dallas, Mudgeon & the Tortoise!
(Achileus is on this own)
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

The fruit is cool but did you steal that old radio from my music website (www.westlakerecords.com)? -- ssuR

Malachi Constant

No, this is a far more rare and valuable vintage radio ... it's a genuine Vectrola!   ;)

-- Dallas

finescalerr

Ah, so it is. Mine is similar. -- Russ

Frederic Testard

Again, Dave has worked wonders!
This 1:35 garage will have been a fantastic opportunity to expand VectorCut's line of unexpected items.
Frederic Testard

Philip Smith

excellent! You Nailed it again!  :o

Gads.... I wish I could do that in 48th

Junior

Beautiful paint job with the Vectrola and what a great Art Deco design by wizard Dave! Neat apples too - wonder what Tamiya was thinking about when they designed that other muffin/apple? ???

Anders ;D

eTraxx

Quote from: Philip Smith on February 28, 2011, 05:49:37 AM
excellent! You Nailed it again!  :o

Gads.... I wish I could do that in 48th
Think that from 1:35 to 1:48 is like a 73% reduction. Wonder if Dave could do that readily enough?
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Mobilgas

The radio would be nice if offered in 1/48.....and 1/2 inch  ;D
Craig

Malachi Constant

Went to make some coffee and the unbleached coffee filters caught my eye .... very thin material.  This is just a quickie test.  The filter material is really thin, but also very fibrous ... so I'm not sure if it would need some varnish to settle down the fibers ... or just use a different material, like unbleached napkins ... or ... anyway, chalk this one up as experimental for now.  Getting the appropriate creases and folds was relatively easy in this scale, just a matter of very carefully and lightly scribing the folds, including the little triangular bits on the lower part of the sides.

Full credit to Dave for the cool radio!  (www.vectorcut.com)

It seems that he's constantly experimenting with different ideas ... and then refining those depending on what works out best.  From our conversations, I gather that he's trying to work out exactly how he'd like to do this as an O scale detail ... I think the test pieces that I was fortunate to receive (thanks Dave!) went together beautifully for 1/35 (and I know Dave is curious whether something like this would sell the 1/35 crowd) ...  

So, it seems likely that he'll add this as an O scale detail at some point, and if you allow him a bit of time he may do the 1/35 for 1/24 as a special order .... but check with Dave, cuz I don't want to get in trouble here with my dealer!  8)

PS -- Ed is right ... O scale is roughly 3/4 the size of 1:35.   In reverse, 1:35 is about a third larger than O scale.

Multiplier is approximately 1.37 (or .73 if you're going the other way) ... so, there's not a "big" difference when looking at a single dimension, but when you multiply that out (1.37)cubed, a three-dimensional 1:35 item occupies about 2-1/2 times the volume of the same item in 1:48 scale.  So, in that sense, it's 2.5x the size and somewhat easier to work on the little bits ... if you completely ignore the insane urge to model the smaller and smaller little details as you move into a larger scale!  ;D

I suspect that only Frederic remains interested once we go into mathematics  ;) ... so let's end on a happy note and say, "Dang, Dave that sure is a real cool radio!"  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas

Frederic Testard

The funny math point is that these multipliers are quite exactly the same as those from HO to S, which easily explains why S looks so more massive than HO.
The filter trick is great. And I love your attention going down to shaping the triangles in the bottom sides...
Frederic Testard

Malachi Constant

Here's another little experimental piece ... I was looking at the plastic cup (left), noticing that the thickness of the rim needed to be evened out and wondering how to paint that item ... whether to finish it as a shiny metal cup or what.  Then decided to have a go at making a little glass (center).  Found a piece of clear plastic sprue in a 1:32 auto kit, cut that to length and drilled out the inside ... that produces a hazy/frosted surface, so I hit that with some gloss varnish.  It needs another coat of that, but I used a brush that wasn't properly cleaned on the first coat ... thus the brownish bit around the rim (lesson learned!).  This one is a bit small ... but back in the day it was awfully common to "recycle" by using jelly jars as drinking glasses, etc.  So, I'll dig around in other kits to see what size sprues might be available, make a few different glasses ... varnish them with clean brushes (!!) ... and pick one.  BTW, that bit of styrene rod is to test the idea of using the jelly jar as a pencil cup ... think it's neat to have a see-thru piece with some interior detail!  ;)

Again, to be clear and give full credit where due ... the cool, fancy radio was ALL Dave's design and idea ... I was just the very fortunate recipient of the test piece (since he had some other stuff to send me anyway) ... and it was a real delight to put together a fancy, ornate neat-looking detail that really didn't take a lot of thought or fumbling on my part!  (I really, really enjoy taking the easy way out when it's available!)   :)

Cheers,
Dallas

Malachi Constant

PS -- Greg Shinnie does some (really) neat detailing in HO scale ... he saw that "huge" radio and suggested installing an LED to light up the dial.  Think I'm going to try to sneak by on that one ... but the radio is big enough to make that possible.  Food for thought for other insane people to enjoy!  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas

finescalerr

The glass doesn't bother me a all. It looks as though somebody drank milk or a shake or a float from it. The paper bag is insane. -- Russ