• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale auto repair shop

Started by Malachi Constant, May 15, 2010, 08:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

I've been using one of Marc's approaches to using styrene rod to make little "nails" to secure the siding, etc ... and that's worked quite well.  Wanted some smaller nails to secure the little battens and framing around the windows, so started experimenting with fine wire.  Treated some lengths of wire with Neolube to blacken, used a sewing needle to start a hole, touched end of wire to ACC, then pressed in place and clipped with fingernail clippers.

Sent the above photo to Russ and, after reminding me that there's an invention called a tripod (thanks!  :D) ... he suggested using a blackening agent rather than paint on the nail heads (exposed wire end after cutting) ...

So, I tried it "my way" just using some Vallejo paints and a teeny-tiny brush to paint the wire ends ... and quickly found that the paint rubbed off with handling.  Then blackened the ends with Neolube as Russ suggested and went back with various shades of grays, browns and worn white to make it look like the nails were hammered in place when the structure was built and (hopefully) the discolorations have taken place as the nails, siding and paint have weathered and aged.

Photo above is about 4x actual size on a 19" monitor ... not necessarily "finished" appearance here, but wanted to make sure I could get this far before planting a zillion more nails ...

Also trying to walk a fine line here between "illusion" and "realism" ... this photo is roughly actual size and all those tiny little nails start to disappear.  So, trying to make them prominent enough (ie, slightly exaggerated) to add some visual texture / detail to the siding when viewing the actual structure ... but subtle enough not to look crazy in the close-ups. 

One of the tricky things about planting the tiny wire is making small enough holes ... I've been starting them with a fine sewing needle for now, but you have to be real careful not to press too deep because of the flared taper of the needle.  Did some looking and found that there are "felting needles" that look like the photo above and come in 36, 38, 40, 42 and 43 "gauge" sizes.  Haven't found out if these correspond to wire gauges yet, so ordered some to find out.  Doll makers also use them to plant (extremely) realistic hair, and they call them "rooting needles" ... so hopeful they'll prove useful in making tiny holes.

Here's another extreme close-up.  After all the other zillion little nails are placed on the end of the building and touched-up, I'll work on any that stand out too much, etc. ... then try a few more subtle weathering effects here and there.  Figure if it looks "decent" at 4x actual, then it should work okay for most normal close-ups.  Any ideas or suggestions for improvement, etc are welcome.

Thanks!
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

Sometimes, if the needle depressed a little too much wood around the nail, a small drop of water will swell the wood back into shape. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

Or spit.

I know what you mean that the nails tend to disappear. It gets really bad in ΒΌ" scale.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Malachi Constant

Hmm ... I really like the idea of Gary's 1:8 scale Fiddletown & Copperopolis trains ... but just don't have enough room to model in a really big scale ... ooh ... unless I do it in miniature!  This works out to roughly 1:5 scale ... as seen by a 1:35 scale dude.  ;D  :D  8)

Cheers,
Dallas

finescalerr

JohnP

I want what he's taking! Someone who is an excellent, experimental modeler but doesn't take himself seriously at all times. Splendid Dallas, a fine ending to my weekend.

John
John Palecki

Ray Dunakin

LOL!

What is that boxcar, an Nn3 model, or something even smaller?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Well, the kind folks at the looney bin are letting me use the computer for a few minutes ...  :) ...

The boxcar is approx. 1/2 size for HOn30 ... so about 10% smaller than an Nn3 car.  Made up a dummy loco and several pieces of rollingstock years ago ... cast them in resin ... and used them for testing 3-D layout mock-ups and possible scenery arrangement (back before you could do that stuff on a home computer).  I think the truck frames were cut and molded from Nn3 trucks.

Went digging for some other stuff and stumbled across these old pieces ... which prompted the photo.  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas

Chuck Doan

No wonder my car isn't ready yet...
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Malachi Constant on August 22, 2010, 11:16:08 PM
Made up a dummy loco and several pieces of rollingstock years ago ... cast them in resin ... and used them for testing 3-D layout mock-ups and possible scenery arrangement (back before you could do that stuff on a home computer).  I think the truck frames were cut and molded from Nn3 trucks.

Wow!

Detailed planning has never been my strong suit. For me, planning _might_ include a crude sketch and maybe a foam core box in the dimensions of the building I intend to model.    :D

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Gordon Ferguson

Dallas, your into nails  ;D have a look at this link http://www.shorpy.com/node/8871

Its a great photo of the kids but for us sad people have a look at the blown up version lots of nice little details on the siding and the support post plus the stone foundations and brick setts
Gordon

eTraxx

Looking back at where Dallas made the outlets and switch plates. Geeze. Enlarged them .. quite remarkable. Just how the heck he did it now ...
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Malachi Constant

Thanks Ed --

Those were handmade ... and in some of the enlargements, it's a bit obvious where the slots aren't quite lined up perfectly, etc. ... but as the foreground details fill in, those should do quite nicely.

Meanwhile ... making significant progress on my third shot at sculpting a head for Mr. Mudgeon's new assistant ... and she's already expressed a desire to help him get organized by hanging some tool racks, new shelves and other goodies to get the shop rolling again!  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas

Malachi Constant

Decided to take a little break from the figure sculpting and do something in the garage for a change ...

Took a look at the label area on the little 1/35 fan belts and found that it's only 1x2mm ... so virtually any printing there is pretty much going to disappear.  Meanwhile, I was planning to make a fictional brand of tires as a remembrance of a local modeling buddy who passed away recently.  Rick Baier was one of the friendliest guys you could hope to meet ... and if you never had the pleasure, safe to say you would have liked him ... instantly!  In addition to being really nice, he was quite powerful too -- a former Green Beret who served in Viet Nam.  When Rick was happy to see you, he'd come up alongside you, throw his arm around you and pretty much smash your entire rib cage in one quick motion.  Then slap your back and ask how you're doing.  He was also the culprit who steered me toward doing something in 1/32 or 1/35 scale ... and he really liked the die-cast cars, so it seems fitting to bring his memory into the garage here.  Sadly missed, but sure glad to have known him.

Anyway, since the belts are going to hang on the wall at the back of the shop, and the labels are so tiny ... decided to make a display board that would make the brand clearly visible when peering in thru the open garage doors.  Printed the sign on paper ... laminated that to some .005" styrene ... colored the edges and did some light weathering with pastels ... then added the little hooks using .004" stainless wire from Ngineering:
http://www.ngineering.com/other_detail_stuff.htm

This wire is really nice, because it's straight and springy.  You can bump it a bit and it bounces back.  Used the felting needles to make the holes and bent the wire 90 degrees so it could be glued flat on the back.

Here's the display board temporarily placed with some poster tack.  Expect to add some peg board below that to keep tools handy ... then litter the place with the rest of the Vector Cut goodies ... gaskets, fans and such.

Cheers,
Dallas

finescalerr

WHAT???? Rick is dead? Please tell me I misunderstood? He was YOUNG! -- Russ