• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale auto repair shop

Started by Malachi Constant, May 15, 2010, 08:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frederic Testard

What a nice story, Dallas. You alone are sure exploring more concepts along one topic than many in many topics.
I love the fake coin image...
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

Dallas, you really must spend more time with your therapist .... -- ssuR

Malachi Constant

Quote from: finescalerr on February 15, 2011, 12:30:47 PM
Dallas, you really must spend more time with your therapist .... -- ssuR

Oh, I dunno ... the little airplane kit cost $18 and it builds SIX planes ... took me about 2 hours to build one of them ... so that's about $1.50/hr ... cheaper than any therapy ... and you have to stay really, really calm to stand any chance of getting one of those tiny little parts to go where you want it!  Put one part in place, put down the tweezers, push back, breath deep ... it's quite ... well, it's quite insane really ... but very meditative.  ;D

Touching on what Dave said ... we used to see those airplanes and such hanging in shops, because more of them were privately owned and reflected the personalities of those individuals ... now it's all cookie-cutter franchises and chain stores.  So, we'll step back in time and throw in a few "personal" items amidst the "normal" auto shop details ... couple of models here and there on the shelves, etc.

PS -- Not to brag or anything, but Mr. Mudgeon has the biggest fake coin around ... 35x actual size!  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Chuck Doan

Of course you will do the rigging on those planes, right?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Frederic Testard

You better not feed his madness, Chuck...
Frederic Testard

danpickard

Geez Dallas,
I'm not really sure which part is more insane...the actual effort of putting together the micro plane kit, or the "alternative" SBS documentation of the build process.  Perhaps let me suggest for next time though, take a few extra of those "therapy pills" the Doc gave you, and try a bit of stop-motion animation with the SBS to load up on youtube, complete with overdubbed pretend comments and modelling tips from the little dude building toys in the garage...thats bound to get you certified for sure!!!

Creative, entertaining and ...scary.  Thanks for letting the quirky side of your model building be captured in an interesting fashion.  Always good to drop in on this thread to see where your head has gone too today ;D

Cheers,
Dan

Ray Dunakin

What fun!! Certainly made my very rough day a little bit brighter.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Thanks all!  Assembling that little airplane with a pair of tweezers in each hand was certainly an interesting experience ... had a lot of fun putting together the cartoon panels.  ;D

Most recent efforts have gone to organizing all the little bits and pieces that are starting spread all over the place.   Got some nice little boxes at Ikea to hold Vallejo & Reaper paint bottles ... some others to store the growing collection of photo-etched and laser-cut parts safely ... some neat little jewelry containers from Michaels to hold the little detail parts as they get painted and store them safely until they're fixed in place ...

Also made a pair of "soft touch" tweezers by taking an extra pair and coating the tips with "liquid electrical tape" -- so I can handle painted parts without scratching, etc ...

Figured out a bunch of the detailing I'd like to do for Mudgeon's workbench ... so look forward to getting to that as soon as I finish sorting all this junk into the proper containers!  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas

Malachi Constant

Starting to prep and sort out possible details to go on a shelf over Mudgeon's desk ... it's just a small shelf above the bench and below the window.  Any/all thoughts and ideas welcome.  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas

DaKra

The little key is awesome, and an ideal part for photo etching in nickel silver and brass.  Actually a repair shop would likely have a little board of hooks for customer's ignition keys etc.   Might want to make one of those.

The Wehrmacht gas mask canister is an unlikely object for a prewar US gas station, though after the war, they might turn up in odd places as vet souvenirs. 

I see the small VC wrench is way too thick.  I do make them in a thinner black colored material, included in the small tool and Old Car Junk sets.   If you don't have any, LMK, I will send some. 

Dave   

Malachi Constant

Silly me ... I was looking at that canister as a Thermos!  Guess I'll have to make some modifications to that ... maybe if I just chop off the top and reshape it.  Will have to cruise the old web for some photos.  Speaking of which, the blobby gray thing is an "apple" from a Tamiya set ... I'll either reshape that to actually look like an apple or make one out of Magic Sculp.

More keys?  Yes ... there will be tiny nails along the front of the shelf with a bunch of keys ... and a couple on the little tags as shown.

Hmm ... little black wrenches might be handy ... I'll take you up on that.  Thanks!  Dallas

Junior

Looking great Dallas! What´s in the background - another of Mr. Mudgeon´s hobby projects? Maybe a boat ??? ???

Anders ;D

Chuck Doan

Thats an apple? Maybe cut off the stem and it could be a stale muffin...
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Junior

Maybe it´s an apple in a flower pot ??? ??? ???

Anders ;D

Malachi Constant

Quote from: DaKra on February 23, 2011, 06:00:40 AM
The Wehrmacht gas mask canister is an unlikely object for a prewar US gas station, though after the war, they might turn up in odd places as vet souvenirs. 

Eh ... coffee ... mustard gas ... what's the difference?  ;D

Well, I found another generic canister that I'll use on the end of the shelf ... thought about making up a thermos, but this will be partly obscured by the drill press and I just want something about that size at the end of the shelf.  Who knows ... maybe it's a cookie jar.  Got in touch with Dave, and he'll send me some of those thinner tools ... meanwhile, I have a couple photo-etch pieces  that will work.

The apple/muffin/pin-cushion ... well now, we'll just have to see.  Might be able to reshape that, but it's hard as heck to hold!  Keeps flying out of my fingers (maybe a bit of wire glued into one side or bottom) ... or I'll just sculpt one.  Like the idea of the apple, silverware, lunch-type things up on the shelf ...

Maybe it would be easier to make a muffin ... we'll see ... or maybe I could find a fuzzy lint ball the right size for a peach.  :D

Anders -- Yes ... it's a boat, and there are some tiny little photo-etch parts to go with it.  Got three different sizes of little boats ... thought they'd make interesting shelf items for our little hobbyist!

Cheers,
Dallas