• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale auto repair shop

Started by Malachi Constant, May 15, 2010, 08:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Err..umm...still look like IKEA to me (I think it's the slats)...and the fact that each item has it's own hanging board/backing is getting a bit busy and distracts from the scene.......somewhere there were photos a machine shop (maybe in the photos by memebers section aon RRL...I believe Ed Traxler provided the link here somewhere)....and it showed the tools and such hanging on a wall with solid _x12sheathing ...to about 1/2 height...and the benches were just placed in front of it as well.

but what do I know...I never even get this far ;D

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Philip Smith

......I see a Fat max tape measure, claw hammers, rubber coated side cutters, modern scissors and a stanley screwdriver. What  era are you working on? I have to agree , the shop look orderly and almost military with tool shadow boards. When I was in the USA sergeant's would visually inventory tools at close of business to see what was missing. I would be inclined to think the employees would have there own hand tools.

Motto......   "In god we trust, everyone else signs a hand receipt" ;D

I noticed the shelves are now trimmed. I think I would add a couple of 45degree braces for each shelf. The electric plug for the radio would be out farther flush with the lathing. I also thought the desk needs some shorty legs.

overall its looking good. tons of details 8)

Philip   

Philip Smith

Quote from: marc_reusser on March 25, 2011, 06:09:08 PM

but what do I know...I never even get this far ;D

M

u don't have to cause ur a wizard ;D

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Philip Smith on March 25, 2011, 06:43:41 PM
......I see a Fat max tape measure, claw hammers, rubber coated side cutters, modern scissors and a stanley screwdriver. What  era are you working on? I have to agree , the shop look orderly and almost military with tool shadow boards. When I was in the USA sergeant's would visually inventory tools at close of business to see what was missing. I would be inclined to think the employees would have there own hand tools.

I can't be held responsible for the contents of that tool board -- it was copied-n-pasted from Anders' shop!  ;D

I'm actually imagining a piece of pegboard the size of that "shadow board" with a proper assortment of wrenches (mostly), tin snips, etc ... maybe even a fancy torque wrench if I get inclined to make one!

This shop is TINY ... about 20x28' with ONE service bay ... and would be a two- or three-person operation at most.  One to fix cars and/or go out in the two truck.  One to pump gas and record sales, etc.  So, I imagine that all the tools would be "house" tools ... no big snap-on boxes owned by the non-existent "fleet" of mechanics!  (And I say "service bay" loosely ... it's like a converted barn with a couple big doors to open to that bay ... no fancy lifts, etc.  Hand-jacks and such.)

Quote from: Philip Smith on March 25, 2011, 06:43:41 PM
I noticed the shelves are now trimmed. I think I would add a couple of 45degree braces for each shelf. The electric plug for the radio would be out farther flush with the lathing. I also thought the desk needs some shorty legs.

overall its looking good. tons of details 8)

Philip   

Yes, well everything that is "really" there is stuck in place with tape or sticky-wax ... and then there's some fake stuff in the photos (like the fake bench legs, fake cardboard boxes, etc.)  All the appropriate shelf bracing, etc will be added when the design/layout is decided.

And, regarding the lathing or Ikea slats over the workbench ... well, I was just too lazy to trim those out of the photo, because I'd have to mask the radio, apple and misc. part ... consider those gone!

Appreciate the continued input ... hope to get this properly sorted out before I started gluing things in place and messing them up on a more permanent basis!  ;D  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Philip Smith

Quote from: Malachi Constant on March 25, 2011, 06:57:52 PM
Appreciate the continued input ... hope to get this properly sorted out before I started gluing things in place and messing them up on a more permanent basis!  ;D  -- Dallas

And thanks for being so receptive! At Casey Feedwaters old dig they would cut my fingers off at the knuckle, or bamboo shutes under the fingernails, or so a few would kick me to the curb for being blunt. I lost my master mold to my coffins..You ever do that?  I have looked everywhere..did find the lid though.......Always something.  :-\

Malachi Constant

Heck, I signed up here for the bluntness ... seriously!  ;)  I got sick of looking at the really good stuff and saying "I wish I'm going to do that" and decided it was time to just work at it ... and the criticism is a big help.

Yeah, I've lost things like that ... spent weeks looking for one of them.  MOST of the time:  I make an original master mold and set that aside as "archive" piece, then make others ... AND ... make FIRST POUR castings from the archive master mold, check the size of those and store those in an off-site location just in case.  Despite various "safeguards" ... mysteries arise here fairly often.  I'm actually trying to get the 1/35 shop to look like I organized it at one point and then worked there for a couple years messing it up!  :)

Cheers,
Dallas

Philip Smith

Russ & the pro's mind there model p's and q's. Tough love I guess. When I first joined it was hell on earth! It's pretty cut and dried when someone post and no one responds. Oh no, rejection! :o  Normally no one will respond to a model that sucks if the postee acts as if his poop doesn't stink. If that person ask's for a real critique, then the pro's will chime in with sound advice and words of wisdom. Most folks aren't getting off there high horse if there being attaboyed at other forums. It's a comfort level thing. Modeling evolves if you listen. If you don't then you just watch the trains run in circles. I know my old stuff was hideous but my newer stuff is starting to improve somewhat.  It's kinda like a R/R crossing here. Stop ,look, and listen.

The lost mold ??? I always make the 1st or 2d copy an archive, but still like the originals. Good idea about an off-site stash. you never know... fire, flood, or other in this day and age of crazy events. I need to create a stash.
Philip :)     

Malachi Constant

Well, one more for now ... then I'll let it stew ... let's pretend that the selection and placement of tools is correct for a piece of pegboard (that can be fixed later IRL) ... and the workbench is covered with an assortment of tools and parts under repair ... and all that stuff.  (The colors and tones of the "fake" cut-out tools on the pegboard might also be distracting at this point -- easily fixed IRL)

Maybe I'm just cross-eyed from putting little dots on the pegboard, but somehow this arrangement seems to push the whole wall back and make the workbench become more of a focal point ... and thus seems to relief some of the picture-frame effect on the back wall ... I can't tell at this point!  :)    

Yeah, I know I'm being a pesky bugger, but any/all thoughts, ideas, impressions and so forth are welcome ... plenty of time to work it out before anything gets glued, nailed or otherwise fixed in place.

Philip -- Hope your mold shows up!  If your place is like mine, you have to look in each "possible" place 3-5 times, then look for all the "other" places where you've actually scattered the stuff ... or remember why you set it down in some odd place while having that in your hand and going to do something else ... oh yeah, I know the drill.  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas

Malachi Constant

Took that last computerized photo, printed it to roughly the right size and stuck it in place ...

Used the sepia filter to try to get rid of some of the color issues ...

This one introduces some serious perspective problems on the workbench -- photo angle doesn't match original angle of print -- but if you can look past that, it gives an overall idea ...

Ray Dunakin

The version with the pegboard looks good to me.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

I like it much better, looks more realistic...however the peg board does bother me a bit...maybe it's just the PS image/representation.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

DaKra

If I were building this, I would turn to making the finished furniture, before working out placement of the clutter.  Because the furniture will better fill in the scene and determine where a lot of the small things go.    In other words, if the small things are the icing on the cake, then you need more cake.

You have a lot of wall space, that's going to demand a lot of clutter.  To coin a phrase, neatness is skin deep, but clutter goes to the bone.  So i'd think again about a large window over the work area.   It adds a contrast to the blank wall, is typical shop practice, and should be less work than several shelves of junk that you otherwise need to make to fill that space.    

Another thing I just noticed, your clutter layer seems to be a nice even spread across the wall, I don't think thats realistic.   Junk tends to accumulate mostly within the armspan of the person who works there, and a thick layer on work surfaces and the floor.     

Again, this French artist has perfected the old garage vibe.              

http://www.graphite-garage.com/illustration/ATELIERS/ateliers.html

HTH

Dave

Frederic Testard

This time, it's not me, Dallas. :)

This being said, the generalized use of English based abbreviations is certainly natural for English speaking people, but doesn't make the reading very easy to non-natives...
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

I'm with Marc on the peg board. Were they common in the era you are representing? Would a plywood sheet with nails have more character? Or is the problem just the way the peg board looks in your image? All in all the diorama is coming together nicely both conceptually and in fact. -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Talk about your window shop!  1919 setting here with a lovely tin ceiling, various parts in a glass case ... nice display of shiny new bumpers in the background ... NO, I'm not building this scene next!  But have a look at the large size on Shorpy here:
http://www.shorpy.com/node/3996?size=_original

Been searching to find the "start date" for pegboard with no luck ... think it would add some nice dimension and texture, but that's still up in the air.  This board is from a photo that looks like late 1940s based on the cars that I've cropped out ... looks like a basic shadowbox/plywood board ... mostly wrenches, ratchets, sockets and extensions.

This one ties in nicely with Dave's "arm's reach" comment ... thanks for the notes and reminders there, Dave.  YES, the Atelier drawings are outstanding and I have those for reference.  I assure you that my "even spread" of details and such is just a matter of trying to simplify the computer manipulations and create a BASE LAYER for all the crap!  And, look, Dave .... no window!  (Yeah, I like your idea, but this particular setting in this particular building -- no window, sorry)  ;)

Thanks again for all the input & ideas!
Dallas