• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

High-Flying Outhouse

Started by eTraxx, May 16, 2010, 02:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

I've been reading through the threads on this forum and have been blown away time and again by the excellent modeling. Today, I finally joined (the email back from the site has been sitting in my spam folder evidently for the past two weeks .. sheesh). Anyway .. figured I'd jump in with both feet and post up my mini-diorama. This is my intro back to modeling after a long hiatus. I'm currently scratch-building a C.P.R. Pump-house .. but this dio is what I have now. So .. here we go ..

I downloaded an outhouse from Paper Creek Model Works. I wanted to see what all the 'fuss' was about with cardstock models. I printed it twice so I could have an 'inside'. I used some basswood 2"x4" to frame the door and built a platform for the the 'little house' from basswood 6"x6" .. planked with more cardstock 'lumber'. Why a platform for an outhouse? Well .. see .. the other day I was moaning and complaining that I haven't found any 'good' rocks here in Central South Carolina to make rock molds of .. so I made a plug from plaster and carved and scribed my own 'rock'. Made a latex mold from that .. so .. I decided to combine the two with a 5"x7" wood plaque I picked up at Walmart and some blue foam. I see comments on the forum alluding to the light grasp on reality that the members here often have .. so I feel right at home. :)

The HO outhouse. If I were to do it over I would cut it up for more board x board like I did with the platform. That would be easy since I doubled the print for the inner walls.

That is a 1929 Sears and Roebuck catalog on the bench and a poster of the 1927 film 'IT' on the wall. Found out that I can get 'Photo Quality' prints if I use Photo Paper. Who would have 'thunk'. Next time.

This is the 'cliff' after coloring and before anything else had been done. There will be a pond in front and a road where that 'too big for HO' truck is sitting

Outhouse mounted (missing a brace and roof still) .. pond and road

Ahh. Roof and braced .. and some ground cover

Not happy with how the foliage came out on the tree .. but since the dio is a 'learning' tool I let it go.

Had to close off the road because of all the rock that has fallen

.. and put up a 'No Swimming' sign. The outhouse DOES hover over the pool ...

Finally took the thing outside for some photos. Love the way natural light works for this

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Ray Dunakin

LOL! Nice, whimsical little dio!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Neat! THe outdoor shots look good.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

I agree, fun project, and good looking outdoor shots. Nice results for paper and HO-scale. Like the coloring on the rock as well.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Neat mix of character and caricature ... and dig those crazy tree roots!
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com