• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Salt and Hairspray

Started by Carlo, May 19, 2010, 11:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo

Hello, all -
Can someone please point me to good basic SBS's on using these two finishing techniques?
I usually work in larger scales (1"), and I am new to this type of paint work, which seems to have been developed in the "smaller" scales and non-railroad models. I want to see how to begin, then progress to getting good results in "Very Large Scale".
Thank you,
Carlo
http://www.spirito.biz

marc_reusser

The best place for the hairspray info is the this thread on the MIG forum.....this will should answer pretty much any and all your questions, and is IMO the defining thread on the subject: http://www.migproductionsforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3293

Virgil Suarez (a member here) is the defining source for the salt technique, and he had a couple of great SBS threads over on MIG as well, but it seems that all the photos have disappeared out of them. I will see if I can find a thread of his with pics.

Stay away from most any threads on RR forums re. these techniques, as they are most always poorly interpreted or executed versions of the techniques, as the people doing them seem to fail to understand the nuances, concept, approach and thought process behind them...they also don't seem to understand that the way the materials are used/applied makes a HUGE difference.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Tom Neeson

The hairspray technique is a myth.

I took an Athearn blue box kit that I "assembled" and sprayed it with hairspray. Not only did the paint not peel off, but I think the hairspray made it stick better. Also gave it a very unrealistic shine.

Tom

No Scribed Siding!

marc_reusser

Quote from: Tom Neeson on May 19, 2010, 05:43:06 PM

I took an Athearn blue box kit that I "assembled" and sprayed it with hairspray. Not only did the paint not peel off, but I think the hairspray made it stick better. Also gave it a very unrealistic shine.

Tom

;D ;D ;D....why does the term "operator error" come to mind.  ;) ;D ;D

MR.

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: Tom Neeson on May 19, 2010, 05:43:06 PM

Tom

Yes , but it made it smell nice .

Nick

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: marc_reusser on May 19, 2010, 02:45:55 PM
Stay away from most any threads on RR forums re. these techniques, as they are most always poorly interpreted or executed versions of the techniques,
Marc

;D ;D now you know why I sent you a PM Carlo
Gordon

lab-dad

I thought it was salt, lime & tequila
Thats what I am doing wrong....aw hell who cares!
-Mj

DaKra

Anyone tried using Dapper Dan?  I tried Fop but it made a mess!

lucas gargoloff

George Clooney didnĀ“t use it in the film "Oh, Brother where are you?" ggggg
Lucas Gargoloff - Argentina

marc_reusser

Quote from: gfadvance on May 20, 2010, 04:37:37 AM

;D ;D now you know why I sent you a PM Carlo

Carlo,

I did not receive your PM.?

Marc

M-Works