• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

P4NewStreet - modelling Birmingham (UK) in the 1980's - 1:76 scale

Started by jim s-w, May 20, 2010, 08:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artizen

From memory this monster is about 63 feet long. What percentage of that length will be hidden under the building spanning the platforms and did you ever resolve the problem of the punters being able to see what's going on under there at shows? With all this added detail it would be a shame to never see it properly when on public display.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Ray Dunakin

Amazing! It's really unusual to see somebody modeling a large, modern RR setting like this, and in such detail.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

voyager

Glad to see updates on this Jim - excellent modelling plus I have a vested interest as I have just transferred to New Street driving for Cross Country! In fact I am in the lamp block typing this - as you know it has changed somewhat from the old brick building....

and the signal box this morning

Keep the updates coming!
Andrew

If it has wheels, I'll have a look!

Hydrostat

I second what Ray said. I hadn't seen this thread before: It is a pleasure to see your photos and progress. Just a philosophical question: Does it feel for you to be "modern", as Ray mentioned? Your prototype is situated some 30 years ago ... I'm sometimes a prisoner of my own perception: I felt it was "modern", too. As my H0 scale modelling started in the 1980ies the pendant would have been (and have been till today) the 50ies/60ies. Time flies and generations change.

And to stop delivering a sermon and get back to modeling: Your approach to the weather situation is as interesting as difficult to do. By chance I found an effect of drying cobblestone which you can see here if interested: http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/viewtopic.php?p=289587#289587 This is 1:22.5 scale so you can't compare it too well. But I think it would be a possibility to show those moist patches, but waive the wet/shiny spots for the dust problem.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

You seem to be dealing comfortably with an overwhelming project. -- Russ

jim s-w

Hi Volker

I see modern as current, ie something that if I need info I can go and look at. The station is changing drastically at the moment but even before then most of the details were different from say 1987 to 2007. In reality the station appears to have changed less from 1967 to 1987 so you could say I am modelling something designed 60 years ago. Everything needs checking wether it be 30 years ago or 300 (road markings were different then for example) so in that respect it is historic, although perhaps the info from recent history is easier to find?  The lower floor of the old stables was 150 years old.  Is the new building still used for route learning etc?

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

jim s-w

Quote from: artizen on June 04, 2013, 03:13:07 PM
From memory this monster is about 63 feet long. What percentage of that length will be hidden under the building spanning the platforms and did you ever resolve the problem of the punters being able to see what's going on under there at shows? With all this added detail it would be a shame to never see it properly when on public display.

The overall layout will be 72 feet long. The station is 22 of which the shopping center is 9ft long. (end elevation drawing below)

I will leave the front wall off at platform level so that viewers can imagine they are standing on the platform.  The view they will get will be roughly this

Although with lighting

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

Hauk

I love this project.
Besides beeing a very cool model, it is also a historic documentation that will onley increase in value as years go by. This is the sort of project that really ought to end up in a museum.

Do you have any exhibitions booked, by the way?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

jim s-w

Thanks Hauk

Not yet, I reckon I'm another 20 years or so away from finishing yet.  However I have quite a few shows that have said they want to when it's ready.

Slightly related (for those in the uk) we will be taking Calcutta sidings 2 to expo em in September.  To explain why this is related, 3 friends and myself have shared the effort on woodwork and building a shared fiddleyard that will be used on Calcutta, Tring and New Street.  Calcutta is the shortest layout (being 20 feet shorter than tring and new street will be) but if anyone does come to he show they will get to see the interesting bits of the fiddleyard in action.

Regards

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

marc_reusser

Thanks for the info Jim. Never even thought of that approach for this,...which like for Michael, is funny, for I too remember having to build plexi box archtectural models (always disliked it..preferred wood massing models  :) )..then lightly scribing the edges of all the window mullions and frames, so you could use a ruling pen to flow the paint in between. Gaak.  :)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Marc, you wrote "gaak" in another thread. Why not "boink" or "aargh" or "spodeblutner" (with an umlaut over the u)? -- Russ

jim s-w

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 05, 2013, 02:50:27 PM
Thanks for the info Jim. Never even thought of that approach for this,...which like for Michael, is funny, for I too remember having to build plexi box archtectural models (always disliked it..preferred wood massing models  :) )..then lightly scribing the edges of all the window mullions and frames, so you could use a ruling pen to flow the paint in between. Gaak.  :)

I only use it for buildings that have a lot of glass.  It's also for strength though as being loaded into a van, driven around a bit and then set up at a show (buy a team of people) it can't be too fragile.  Ultimately (if I whisper it quietly here) it sometimes comes down to what's easiest over what might be the best approach. (I appreciate that's sacralige though)

Regards

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

jim s-w

Hi all

The above example is Hood's crest, from Extreme Etches! which is a 3 part etch for something only 3.5mm high!  (I think i need to buy a magnifying glass if im honest)

The loco itself is a Hornby one which has been lowered on its bogies, had the wheels, side grills, roof grill and windscreens replaced.  It's what would be termed as 'immaculate condition' as the model is my own little tribute to the loss off all but 3 lives when the Royal Navy's flagship HMS Hood was sunk by the Bismark during World War II.

All of the class 50s were named after Royal Navy ships or land bases.

To read more about HMS Hood see http://www.hmshood.com/

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

finescalerr

The crest and entire locomotive appear quite satisfactory. -- Russ

Hauk

Always nice to see an update on your excellent project!

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past