• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Print-a-Part trial

Started by JohnP, May 23, 2010, 08:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Somehow I missed the progress...those parts look good John! 
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

JohnP

Marc, post anything you want here. It is always interesting- the obsession for accurate modeling is clearly in the military guys too. That track's a lot of PAP money though.

Thanks Chuck and Russ. Marty I can offer hints if you really are going to make them for us..I mean yourself.

Tomorrow I need to glue those rivet strips back-to-back without melting them. Then I need to glue them on edge along a tube to form quadrants. See the photo below of a beam from another bridge.

John
John Palecki

JohnP

OK I assembled my column. I am very pleased.

I clamped the rivet strips together then applied the Tenax.

I marked the post using the end castings for alignment. Then I held the post in a vise and applied the strips.

I glued on the end castings with AC, cleaned it up and sprayed it with Dullcote to blend in the adhesive marks. The dark stains are from weathering chalk, which I use to highlight scribe marks in styrene.

I don't spray primer because it will come off in the mold and end up sticking to the cast first parts, although it would look better and photograph more easily.

Next I'll show my mold casting boxes and techniques. Stay tuned.

John
John Palecki

Philip Smith

marc_reusser

Looking nice...though the right side rivet strip seems to have "issues" at the bottom end  ;)...or maybe thats just an optical illusion.

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

JohnP

Heck Marc, between 2 in the morning, my new bifocals and the distortion of the Opti-Visor lenses I'm surprised it doesn't look like a barber pole. I think there is some chalk shadowing the joint and maybe the seam on the two rivet strips is uneven. I did sight them all and they looked straight. I'll look again when I get home.

Nonetheless, the PAP parts made it possible to model the beam with its complex castings so I am looking forward to more applications.

John
John Palecki

DaKra

Nice lookin' rivets, John.   The time you spent making the tool and experimenting was well worth it, if you're doing cast iron and steam, you have to master rivets, they can't be fudged.