• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

One Man Bunker

Started by eTraxx, May 30, 2010, 06:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

I was rummaging around the Schmalspurtreff website and found a thread on One-man bunkers

One of the replies has this small bunker. Figure this would make an excellent mini-dio

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

lab-dad

I like the overgrown pavers.......
Would look cool around a 1/35 mining shed or something.... ;D ;D ;D
-Marty

marc_reusser

That is very cool. Thanks!......that just might be my project for the next MIG Challenge (though I had mor grandiose ideas...this one is actually manageable ;D )

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Looks more like a battlefield outhouse.

Not sure I would want to be the center of attention in one of those. Tank bait!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

shropshire lad

A number of years ago Emmanuel Nouiallier did something similar for one of his layouts .  The one he modelled was smaller(?) than this without the viewing slits . I don't know if this one was used for the same purpose but his was a  refuge huts for railway workers for when the Allies bombed the railways  during the last war .I guess you stand a better chance of surviving than being outside , but I bet your ears would be ringing at the end of the raid .
   I can't see the one in the photo being used defensively as I would imagine it would be hard to fire a rifle from it . Maybe a Luger , but that is about it !

Nick

Chuck Doan

That makes some sense using it as a shelter...still I wonder what happened when several chaps arrived at the door at the same time? Maybe it just covered a hole into a larger underground shelter?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

eTraxx

Translated from German (more or less)

http://xn--untertage-bertage-c3b.de/LS-Zellen.html

QuoteSplitter protective cells of the type Dywidag

Who does not know, those little air defenses. Hundreds of these "one-man bunker" or "observation bunker," as they are called in the vernacular also constructed. They came in many different designs from multiple vendors as the company Westermann, Dietel Humor or ear. There were splinter cell protection of steel, concrete, brick designs, for a person to several people and wall thickness of 10-50 centimeters. Most often, the splinter guard cells of individual jobs (such as crossing guard installed). They existed but everywhere, even though the railroad was the best customer of the company well, which splinter guard cells produced. The most numerous was the splinter guard cell of the company Dywidag. Dywidag stands for the concrete plants Dykerhoff & Widmann AG, headquartered in Cossebaude near Dresden. The concrete plants had more branches throughout Germany. Even today the company is still present and operates several concrete and cement plants, together with limestone quarries, such as in Lengerich / Westfalen Teutoburg forest. Dywidag The cells were manufactured between 1941 and 1945 and were widespread. Even today they are in all parts of Germany but also in the neighboring eastern countries, to find the formerly occupied countries such as Poland.
Ed Traxler

eTraxx

Some additional info. It's in Czech - which is fine with me since Chrome translates for me :)

'German observation objects called "Einmannbunker"'
Ed Traxler

marc_reusser

This one is not based on the image above, but modeled to the dimensions given for the "DYWIDAG" type shown on the linked sites.

Now to figure out how to make the molds, and what pieces to extrapolate from the drawing for the mold form, so that this can be cast in plaster.

The brown parts...the steel viewport inserts will be done with PAP....still need to draw the door and the steel frame that it was cast into (the frame will be done with PAP as well).

MR

M-Works

Malachi Constant

The domed roof looks cooler!  (Said the bald guy)  ;D
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Yeah...I know.....I will probably draw that style roof as well, but I wanted to start with an accurate prototype that I had dim's. for first. :)

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Here you go round-top....the R2-D2 version ;) ;D ;D

M-Works

jacq01

Marc,

if casting in plaster, taper the inner core or make it from a material that is easily destroyed. p.e. artists balloons.

Quotethe R2-D2 version
will you makethe top rotating and add lenses ??   8)  ::)

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

shropshire lad

Quote from: jacq01 on June 12, 2010, 01:17:18 AM

Marc,

if casting in plaster, taper the inner core or make it from a material that is easily destroyed. p.e. artists balloons.

Quotethe R2-D2 version
will you makethe top rotating and add lenses ??   8)  ::)

Jacq

Jacq ,

I have used styrofoam as the sacrificial inner core on a small plaster building that I cast as a single piece . Very easy to cut out with a knife when plaster is set .

I reckon with all the interest in military railways in 1/35th scale these days there would be a market for such a structure if someone could be bothered to produce one .

Nick

lab-dad

Why not make the cylinder(s) mold(s) out of PVC pipe slit down the side in to two halves?
(I know the pvc is .00003" too small/big) :-[ :'(
Cap the ends and drill a hole in the caps for the sacrificial center.
The missing kerf could be replaced by a piece of 1/16 - 1/8" styrene (depending on your saws thickness.
The top could be done with a silicon mold of a turned master (a PVC cap might be a good start).
Heck, the "portholes" could be done with Styrofoam blocks glued inside the form.
-Marty