• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

side dump hopper

Started by GD, June 16, 2010, 12:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GD

Hi,
Since I am new to this forum, I will introduce myself shortly. My name is Gerard, 45 years, married and 4 kids and I live in a small town near Goude, in the province South Holland, The Netherlands. Since I am rather space starved, my modelling tends to be British-style: small layouts with some fiddle space. Recently I ripped my permanent lay out to start something new, German railroads era 3. Apart from that I have some Dutch rolling stock, early nineteen seventies and some Dutch stock from the last 5 years and Swiss metre gauge Rhatian Railway. All waiting for a project. I must admit most of my modelling is `start a project and never finish it´. Aslo, progress is always very slow (job, kids).
Last year I bought by some On30 stock at my local shop, a shay and some cars. I am building a small diorama aprx. 2 feet 10 inch x 1 foot. I now would like to start scratchbuilding some hoppers. On the website of the Terrapin narrow gauge society I found drawings by Mark Reusser of a side dump hopper which seems to me as a good project to start with. Since the drawing has no indications about the size of the hopper, wether it rode on trucks or just had 2 axles etc., could anybody please give me some more information about this hopper. And am I correct by assuming that the hopper was unloaded by pulling out (by hand) the long sideboad.

Kind regards,

Gerard

marc_reusser

Welcome to the forum Gerard,

I saw your project on the Dutch rail website, and wanted to make some comments, and post some info, but I am not a member there, and my Dutch language skills are non-existent. ;) ;D

These drawings were done for a "Model Challenge" by  Light Iron Digest in Sept/Oct. 2005 ....where the editor found a photo of this car, and published a photo or two, and the challenge was to build the car as a model......My drwaings were extrapolated from those images...but merely show the wood shell construction, they lack all the hardware and unloading mechanism. (at the time the drawings were done fome me only, so I could extrapolate some 2D plans to work from (the hardware didn't require plans for me to do, so was not included). At the time neither the magazine editor nor I really knew the use and details of this type of car.....but I have since then run across a PDF catalog file  that shows these cars and how they were used, built and functioned.

I will pull scan the original photos from the magazine, and try to find the catalog on my HD to pull some images/info from for you.  (give me a little bit of time though......digging through my files and finding something , especially on my external drives, is like trying to find Dr. Livingstone in deepest darkest Africa. :) )

The answers for now though are:

The hoppers wer not opened by use of the boards....they were operated mechanically, or manually by wheel/lever there was a eccentric arm and rods at the end, connected to those boards, that pushed the sides open. Those boards also had "tension rods" running across the oustide of them.

The photos of the car showed no trucgs or wheel whatsoever, but if I recall corrctly, the catalog shows them as being 4-wheel cars...as I am sure you have noticed, trucks dont turn/function well with the construction system of the car....there were axle bearing blocks mounted on the long sills under the hoppper, and the wheels were just outside of those sills. (Hope this makes sense).

When I find the info I will post it here in this thread

For others here wondering what the heck car we are speaking about, the drawings are here:
http://www.rbadesign.net/TERRAPIN/MR_WoodenHopper.htm

Marc

PS. Gerard,  if you are interested, at the time I started a model of the car (only the wood parts are done/assembled)...but I can take a pic or two and post it as well.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Gerard,

welkom bij deze mallemolen.
    welk forum bedoelt Marc ?

You have found the right place ........ I wish you a good time here. 

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

M-Works

jacq01

QuoteDit is het forum Ik verwees naar.

een talenwonder  ;D ;D ;D

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

shropshire lad

So I take it that the reason most Dutch people speak English is because their own language reads like gobbledy gook and even they don't understand it ?!?  A bit like Welsh .

I can cope , just about ,with a bit of German and French , but Dutch really is a language to far . Still someone has got to speak it , so it might as well be those people who live in Holland .

At the end of all that , welcome to the forum , Gerard . Though how you can have time for modelling with four kids is beyond me .

Nick

marc_reusser

Bel me Mr. Google. ;D

QuoteSo I take it that the reason most Dutch people speak English is because their own language reads like gobbledy gook and even they don't understand it ?!?  A bit like Welsh .

I can cope , just about ,with a bit of German and French , but Dutch really is a language to far.

Yeah...and I thought Swiss German was a "throat sickness" of a language...but it's nothing compared to Dutch. ;D Even with all the languages I can muddle through, this is one that really escapes me...I can't seem to find any real "reference points" to work off of when reading it.  :-\ :)......but they do turn out some mighty fine model builders ;D ;D

Marc

M-Works

finescalerr

They also make nice chocolate, beer, cheese, various other goodies, and have a swell neighborhood in Amsterdam where you can find all kinds of functional models! -- Russ

JohnP

Welcome Gerard.

I've been watching to current Tour de Suisse coverage in Dutch sometimes. It's a lot more soothing than the Italian coverage!

Marc, please let's see more details of that car. I need ideas of what to build for my 1:13.7 line off the patio. Looks like a job for some hard pine and the table saw. Is your sketch based on a prototype of some sort?

Thanks, John
John Palecki

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Marty J

Hi Gerald,
I believe that the car you are refering to is made by C W Hunt.  I posted a pdf of the catalog on my website at:

http://www.narrowgaugechaos.com/RPC/Material/IndustRREquip/CWHunt/CWHuntIndex.htm
Look for the Industrial Railway - Cat 38.  The car is featured about halfway into the catalog.

The general website is at http://www.narrowgaugechaos.com  and has some other catalogs that maybe of interest.  More to post just need to scan ...
Marc I would love to see some photos of your model.
Cheers,
Marty J

GD

Hi all,
Thanks for your kind words and advises. Since it is now 7.30 am and I a.m. and I just arrived at work just this quick reply. Marc, thanks for your offer. Take your time, as I said, modelling goes on a slow pace and since I am not very technically skilled, I often need a lot of time to think things through. That will also be the case for this hopper. I will post a more substantial reply later today.

Kind regards,

Gerard

marc_reusser

Gerard,

I found my old file on this project with some images I took back then in 2005.

I did the drawings and model before I found out about Marty's catalog of these, so all my information was extrapolated from the photos shown on the magazine page.

Going back and looking at the images again today, I noticed that this car must have had 4-wheel trucks at each end...at least in its last use before abandonment, because in the underside photo you can clearly see the bolster skid plates, as well as where the now missing truck/bolster bearing plate thing, used to be.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Some pics of the stryrene build in progress. My build scale on this was 1/32  (No standard styrene sizes were used, all the planks were laminated together out of multiple/various sizes of styrene to get the proper size needed)

M-Works

marc_reusser

These last two images show the painting in progress....and it is pretty much where it still stands today.  ::)

MR

M-Works