• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Vehicles for New Street 1:76.2 scale

Started by jim s-w, June 29, 2010, 01:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim s-w

Hi All

Thought I'd start a little topic on my efforts to populate the roads on my layout.  There are some scary good road vehicles on here but I hope you find my efforts interesting.

First up an ongoing project.  The Daimler Fleetline bus as seen here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/2209000168/

I need lots of these but alas nothing is available off the shelf so...

A couple of likely candidates off the shelf.  Atlanteans from Britbus (left) and EFE.  I decided the Britbus effort was closer.

The britbus one stripped down along side a resin kit for the acttual fleetline.  For the money the resin kit is poor so I plan to stick with the die cast ones for the layout.  I will finish the resin one anyway now that I have it.

Since I need a lot it made sense to draw up an etch for the parts I need to convert the model.  Of course I can use these parts to improve the resin bus too.

My etch

Front and rear views of my progress so far.  There were a few mistakes in the etch but thats what test etches are for aint it?

Regards

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

eTraxx

Dang Jim. You continue to amaze me! You fit right in with this crowd :)
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Ray Dunakin

Interesting project, and looking good so far!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

jim s-w

Thanks chaps

For buses in 4mm to 1 ft scale we dont do too badly - for most other things, especially suitable for the 1980's we have very slim pickings indeed.  However there are some things in the toybox that can be utilised.  Here are some for you

Corgi Mercedes school bus is not actually that bad in terms of shape and scale.  I converted mine to a van and fitted new wheels.   Wing mirrors are my own etch

On the far right an out of the box MAN truck from Corgi.  In the center work in progress on converting it to a box truck and on the left a finished flat bed version with Hi-ab from Kibri

Another one that came from the Corgi toybox.  Only the cab was used, the chassis being from Base toys and the box body from scratch

Regards

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

chester

I love to see folks turn toy like pieces into true prototypical models. Those Corgi transformations look very nice. The p.e. fret for the Britbus is quite impressive too. Thanks for showing us all.

jim s-w

Well,

The fleetlines have emerged from the paintshop. Still preferring the ex britbus.

What follows is a before and after picture with my brummy fleetline alongside the Britbus Atlantean it started out as.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

jim s-w

Hi All

Pic of the britbus one with new wheels (from Pirate models) and a slightly higher stance. 

Been measuring a real one today.  The windows are 2ft6 high so the Britbus ones are indeed 1mm to high.  With the beading I reckon you are hard pushed to tell. 

These need weathering and another coat of matt varnish before the windows go in for keeps but this pic shows the side windows test fitted.  The ali frames are from the etch and the beading is done with a marker while the windows are away from the bus.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

jim s-w

Hi All

Externally at least this one is done, Hope you like it

Regards

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Andi Little

Lovely job Jim - an excellent bit of modelling. All the more impressive at this scale, and I look forward to seeing more of your posts - and your work also.
KBO..................... Andi.