• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Next Engine 3D Scanner

Started by eTraxx, July 08, 2010, 10:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

I NEED MONEY!! Geeze. Check this out. After all of the Print-a-part.com threads .. now this ...

Next Engine 3D Scanner

QuoteOutput 3D scan models to popular design software like SolidWorks, 3ds Max, ZBrush, Rhino, Mathematica and more. Use with ScanStudio CAD Tools to quickly make surface files or RapidWorks to build solid files. Print models on Dimension, 3D Systems, zCorp, Objet, and other 3D printers.

First thing that came to mind? Goto WalMart and pick up a Ken doll (or whatever). Use clay .. build him a new figure. Make him an engineer .. a guy shoveling coal .. whatever. Scan him. Reduce to whatever scale you like. Send the file to Print-a-part. Carefully sand and finish the scale figure. Reproduce as needed in resin.

Man.

Edit: Did a quick search for 3D Scanning services. Just looked at one .. 3D Scan Services. Looks like about $150 to scan a 12" tall figure to output a 3D Mesh model.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

DaKra

I just chop up and reglue unpainted Preiser figures like this guy opening a sliding barn door.   The unpainted plastic sets have so many people in so many poses, you can make what you want by swapping body parts.    :)  Fun to do, look great and cost under 50 cents.     

finescalerr

Besides, the problem with the scanner is that you can only use it to RE-create. The guys here tend to be innovators and create things nobody has done before. Still, it's a cool thing to have and I'll probably buy half a dozen, especially since Jay Leno says I should have one. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Looks interesting. Thanks for posting.

...I will though probably have to wait on buying one until I can fit an entire O&K or Decauville loco into it.  ;) ;D ;D

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

eTraxx

Russ. That's what I was saying. What popped into my noggin was a 1/6 scale figure and use it as an armature. Then modeling clay to build your own custom figure .. pot belly, overalls, boots, beard, bowler hat, sleeve rolled up. Now .. DaKra points out that Preiser figures can be sliced-n-diced to get what you want. That's fine .. if you can get them in 1:48. I found some on eBay "some brand" 1:50 figures which is 'good nuff'. I certainly wouldn't spend $150 to get a 3D scan of my 'clay'd Ken armature .. but just thought that .. "wouldn't it be cool" .. if you had your own desk-top scanner .. you COULD (if you had the skill set) and create something in 1:6 scale for example, scan it then reduce that by 8 for your 1:48 .. wait .. just had a horrible thought. If you could scan a full sized person .. then .. you could scan Marc (his Avatar) .. or Uncle Russ .. and reproduce them as 1:35 actors in a garage scene for example. Now .. THAT .. would be cool!
Ed Traxler

marc_reusser

Errr...what are you suggesting Russ and I are doing in this "garage".  ::) :-\ :-X

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

eTraxx

Quote from: marc_reusser on July 08, 2010, 04:23:33 PM
Errr...what are you suggesting Russ and I are doing in this "garage".  ::) :-\ :-X

MR

Nothing salacious :) .. working for Mr Mudgeon!
Ed Traxler

finescalerr

Listen: I never loaned Marc my Speedos. I don't know who started that rumor. Probably Paul. -- ssuR

Malachi Constant

Get some putty and start playing ... it's a lot cheaper, more fun, and you can save the high-tech stuff for the really complicated or precision projects ...

Here's a modified figure I did .... so miniaturized Russ and Marc can strut around in their speedos, spandex or whatever and see who she goes for ...

PS -- The high-tech and other stuff IS extremely useful, but getting out of your head and using your hands is really what it's all about, eh?  ??? ;D

PPS -- Those "good nuff" Preiser knock-offs are crap ... MK35 makes really nice, well sculpted figures in 1/43 or 1/48:  www.mk35.com

I'll readily concede that sculpting heads and hands is tricky even in the larger scales, and takes some real skill to do convincingly in the smaller scales ... but sculpting basic bodies and clothing is relatively easy, fun and just takes practice.  I really like using the "Magic Sculp" (no "t") two-part putty.  You can get 1/48 heads and arms at the link below and make some figures that will look MUCH better than those crappy knock-offs (all for well under $2995!  ;D):
http://propaganda-kompany.com/321-Accessories-Figures-1-48-Heads
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

DaKra

Some of these 1/12(?) scale sports figurines I've seen at the toy store look like they have been made by scanning the actual 1/1 scale athelete in 3d.  Or they are possibly sculpted by hand, by extremely talented artists.   Either way, they are astonishing.

I'm looking forward to the day when you can go to a Google satellite view of a delapidated barn in Pennsylvania, download a 3d scan to your computer, then print it out in HO scale from your color 3d printer.    But I think its a long ways off.  Lot of tedious hand assembly in the meantime!

There are inexpensive 1/48 scale sets of aircraft pilots and groundcrew that can be modified to fit RR scenes. 

Dave

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: Malachi Constant on July 09, 2010, 02:09:34 AM
Get some putty and start playing ... it's a lot cheaper, more fun, and you can save the high-tech stuff for the really complicated or precision projects ...

PS -- The high-tech and other stuff IS extremely useful, but getting out of your head and using your hands is really what it's all about, eh?  ??? ;D
Agreed... a lesson I learned a long time ago was that you have to learn to walk before you can run. You need to be able to do this sort of thing by hand before you can begin to hope to understand the digital processes enough to be able to control those processes. This is the basic principle of being an apprentice. You have to fully understand and appreciate the skills, the principles at work and the limits of the materials being used before you can begin to exercise control over your tools and materials. When I apprenticed as a traditional cabinet maker, we had to learn to cut, plane, join and finish wood by hand to within a tolerance of .001" before being allowed within reach of a power or machine tool. Then we had to learn the function and maintenance of each machine before being allowed to use it.

This highlights the inherent weakness of all these readily available hi-tech convenience solutions, particularly computer-related. Nearly everyone with a computer has a word-processing program, but there are very few good writers. Colleges routinely spit out thousands of so-called graphic designers who are skilled at using design software but do not understand design, and there are even fewer good designers. It's the down-side of so-called progress, our culture and accomplishments as a whole tend ever closer to the mediocre... Forums like this present the work of individuals who refuse to accept mediocre as an end result and are prepared to invest the time, effort, skill and perseverance to do the job properly.

Such is my rant for this evening, at the end of a long and frustrating work week dealing with the scheming, hidden-agenda-driven maneuvers of the justice and law-enforcement professions  >:( ...  Where's my drink... ;)

Paul

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: finescalerr on July 09, 2010, 01:54:45 AM
Listen: I never loaned Marc my Speedos. I don't know who started that rumor. Probably Paul. -- ssuR
Not me... besides you swore me to secrecy and threatened to take away two of the thong-clad cuties if I so much as mentioned that episode.

Paul -->in hiding-->